365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: How much do you charge for...  (Read 125 times)

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
How much do you charge for...
« on: August 03, 2012, 09:12:10 AM »
Standard WPL top load washer needing a lidswitch pt # 3949238 ? I'm at $195 parts and labor with hardly any pushback from customer.

Motor coupler job using a 285753A ? Mine is $145ish

Gas oven ignitor using a WB2X9998 ? I'm at $177ish.

Usually I throw in something free, like install a-dogs pt #80040 for free if they buy them from me, give their dryer a once over, sweep up behind washer, etc.
Good work isn't cheap. Cheap work isn't good.
SW Oklahoma

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: How much do you charge for...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »
I think you will find what companies charge will vary by area.
Just like the cost of living varies by area.

I did not look up the part numbers you listed, but I charge suggested retail price on my parts.
Even the profit on the same part will vary from one company to the next as we don't all pay the same price for a part.

My service call charge at this time is $65 and that covers most small job from start to finish.
It's easy enough for me to tack on a extra $10,$20,$30 labor, ect. if I feel it's necessary.

I was charging $55 a service call until earlier this year when I went up to the $65 rate. I have been surprised that not one customer has said anything about the rate change.

I have been thinking about increasing my rate again, just because it went so well the first time I did it, lol...

What I don't understand is how companies can advertise a free service call with any repair. Don't remember just how they word it now, but I have seen website that advertise that they only charge a service call if you don't go ahead with the repair.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 06:43:46 PM »
My parts and labor on the lid switch would be at $115.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »
     Parts and labor on whirlpool lid switch for me - 125.    I,  like AJ,  charge suggested retail for the parts.   I get almost no customer complaining.   
     If they say they can get the part cheaper on the internet,  I tell them I have part with me,  I have to pick up and stock part,  and can fix it immediatly.   I tell people I have to make money,  I can't work for free.   Very few people that I have to have this conversation with. 
     Other prices of mine - whirlpool Coupler 105, clutch 140, oven ignitor 140, GE Refrigerator defrost stat and 10101 heater on SxS -  also steam out ice on evaporator  - around 200.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 10:34:24 PM »
If they say they can get the part cheaper on the internet,  I tell them I have part with me,  I have to pick up and stock part,  and can fix it immediatly.   I tell people I have to make money,  I can't work for free.

I have never had anyone tell me they can get the part cheaper online, but a couple times with really good customers that need expensive parts I have suggested that they could get the part cheaper online if they wanted to order it themselves. I told them I would still put the part in for them.

They always tell me no that's fine, just go ahead and fix it, even if I have to order the parts myself anyway. :)

I think it makes them feel like I'm looking out for them and not just trying to take them to the cleaners, lol...

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 02:40:06 AM »
      I agree, AJ,  99 percent of my customers trust me to do the right thing for them.   However, 
lately I get people coming up to me telling me they can get a part cheaper than I quote them. 
What I tell them is,  if you want to order part online,  fine.   I'll put it in,  but I can't warranty
the part.  And,  if the part goes bad,  I have to charge them another service call and labor to
come,  take part out and put replacement in.  But.....If I supply part,  then I'll warranty it for the 3 months the manufacturer gives us for new replacement parts.      About then,  they usually tell me to just get the part.       
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline twayneb

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 05:23:35 AM »
pricing is definitely determined by the area. my company is about 115 for coupler replacement 145 for wpl lid switch just to give you some of idea where we are at. but we have tweaked our pricing on most repairs to consider value of appliance and replacement cost,  for instance it's just as easy in most cases to change a door switch on frigidaire front loader as it is a lid switch on wpl top load.you should be able to push the price a little more on the frt loader than on the entry level top load the key is you want to complete the repair not ride around and collect service calls all day can't make any money that way. play with the pricing for a while and see what you can come up with, most important build the trust of the customers give them their best options and pricing will become easy. by the way i would rather fix the wpl topl load than the friggy frt load but it's what the customer wants.

What do you charge for an hourly repair rate?

Started by R0ENIN

Replies: 53
Views: 575
Last post September 02, 2012, 09:44:23 PM
by andersenappliance
FF vs Service Charge?

Started by Nwtech

Replies: 22
Views: 332
Last post March 31, 2012, 06:44:17 AM
by wildimaginations
What to charge for time consuming diagnosis?

Started by Wedgeman55

Replies: 29
Views: 402
Last post August 26, 2012, 10:05:37 AM
by Nwtech
Tool charge

Started by RAH52

Replies: 17
Views: 270
Last post April 16, 2013, 08:58:17 AM
by PARTech
Core charge on parts? Any opinions from fellow techs??

Started by itsastarr

Replies: 15
Views: 692
Last post July 12, 2013, 04:13:18 AM
by Wedgeman55
Rates you charge out there in your market place are???

Started by Tony45

Replies: 2
Views: 129
Last post November 24, 2013, 10:32:11 PM
by shillion