Author Topic: How do I wire in new bi-metal thermostat to the heating coil?  (Read 995 times)

Offline Agile

• VIP Member
I was listening to my friend talking to himself as a was trying to wire in the new bi-metal thermostat to the new heating coil-it seems he did not mark the wires. How can I get a wiring diagram for a mod. # GB22DKXJW00 to make sure that I do not have a big problem. The new thermostat has two white wires with no connectors. I am unable to find any information but I do think one of the thermostat wires attaches to the heating element wires closest to the back of the fridge-any help would be appreciated!!

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
Re: How do I wire in new bi-metal thermostat to the heating coil?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:43:58 PM »
If the bimetal was simply cut out of circuit then wire new part in. The two wires can be wired either way. http://www.appliancepartspros.com/Appliance-Parts/whirlpool-defrost-thermostat-item-number-ap4002415.aspx

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:25:24 PM »
This is a series circuit part that interrupts power to the heater when the temp is warm enough to melt frost on the coils. The defrost cycle is 21 minutes long. If the heater element was to stay on that long it would not be purty. So a thermostat is wired into the circuit to stop the heater once it is warm enough to melt the frost. The basic bimetal terminator closes and allows power to go through it @25f. It opens ans stops the heater when the ambient temp inside the evaporation area goes to 50f. This takes about 5 minutes or less. Most times the failure of the defrost program occurs when the bimetal  separates and permanently kills the flow  to the element. The defrost at first will work a little bit but the frost will linger and begin to build. After a week milk is not chilled anymore but still cold. After 2 weeks the milk is spoiled and the temps inside the fresh food section are taking a beating because the frost buildup is choking off the air flow to the fresh food compartment. Unplug the icebox and wait 4 hours and it might perk up. for a week.I worked on an icebox and found a failed bi-metal:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:28:36 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:32:30 PM »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Agile

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »
Think I got it. Thanks for all the help

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 09:30:38 PM »
Glad ye could git er did!
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Dacor Cooktop Burner not Heating.

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1068
Last post January 03, 2009, 07:11:25 AM
by TechnicianBrian
whirlpool fridge how to change thermostat

Started by cheyane634

Replies: 1
Views: 2075
Last post January 19, 2009, 08:05:46 PM