Author Topic: Neptune top load, won't spin  (Read 2045 times)

Offline fanbelt

• VIP Member
Neptune top load, won't spin
« on: April 26, 2008, 05:27:06 PM »
Iím one of those unfortunate soles that purchased a Neptune washer and dryer, thinking that the additional expense would be worth the lack of problems. Needless to say my confidence in the Maytag product was probably from watching their very convincing commercials.

OK, enough of Maytag bashing, on to my problem.

I have a washer that does not go into the spin cycle, instead the tumblers rotate when its in the spin mode. I set the controls for spin only, and get the same results. I went through the service mode process, including the quick spin test and get the same results. I disconnected JP4 on the motor control and did the output test, where the unit is suppose to spin, but again the only function that will work are the tumblers.  Iím beginning to think there may be a problem with the transmission, or clutch, but I wanted to get an experts opinion before I tackle that issue. Am I on the right track?

Oh, by the way; there looks to be some kind of dried liquid that was around sides and bottom of the unit that splattered about the same height as the pully.

Jim

Model FAV6800AWW

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Neptune top load, won't spin
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 06:33:49 PM »
You obviously have been referring to a tech sheet somewhere, as you mention the motor output test. Since you have access to the sheet, place the machine in a diagnostic mode and look for fault codes that are in the memory chip. If you don't have access to the actual service manual, I will share my copy with you.

I think that if the motor did not respond for the J4 test, the motor control might be bad. If it were the clutch, the usual sign would be a slow spin for a minute or so, followed by an error code. Again, the diagnostic should give you the telltale error.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline fanbelt

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 07:55:25 PM »
Thanks for your reply; I ran the diagnostic mode and it came up with what looks like a lowercase d and A-1. I'm assuming the d means it was finish with the test, but I have no idea what the A-1 means, because its not on the error code list.  Incidently; when I ran the output test the motor did run, but it just operated the tumblers and did not spin.

Jim

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 09:40:45 PM »
The electronic control up top may be bad. It is not telling the motor to reverse itself in order to spin. If the control only allows the motor to turn in the tumble (agitate) direction, the control is most likely bad. The mysterious fault code is another clue to a bad control.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline fanbelt

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 05:21:52 PM »
Well thank you Repair-man, I will get a new board and try that first. Ironically that's the only item besides the transmission that is still under warranty, but only parts. Incidentally; this will be the second board replacment.

Jim

Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW - No Spin.

Started by larry

Replies: 39
Views: 57224
Last post February 21, 2011, 01:22:14 PM
by bwhelan
Maytag Neptune Washer - No Spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 6
Views: 5087
Last post February 20, 2008, 12:41:13 PM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Mah4000aww will not go through cycles or spin...

Started by Mudd222

Replies: 11
Views: 4156
Last post April 23, 2013, 11:14:30 AM
by def
16022808 Maytag Top Load Neptune Washer Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2926
Last post April 24, 2008, 05:04:08 PM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Very Noisy During Spin