Author Topic: Ice maker not working  (Read 653 times)

Offline postman1

• VIP Member
Ice maker not working
« on: July 22, 2012, 02:55:37 PM »
Hi my ice maker is not working, I have replaced 2 parts so far and still not working? I replaced the (4389102) Refrigerator P.C. board kit. left/right side., that did not work, then I replaced the (W10408180) VALVE-INLT in back of fridge. That did not work, I poured about a 1/2 cup of water in the ice maker tray, and it harvested that 1 tray of ice. but still NO water is getting ti the ice maker? Don't know what else to do.., any ideas?
I think the only thing I have not tried is replacing the Ice maker itself..?
Oh I also checked the water inlet tube in top of freezer with a Q-Tip and it did not seemed clogged..? Please Help

refrigerator model # 106.56162500
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:56:22 PM by postman1 »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Ice maker not working
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:26:58 PM »
Your ice maker is a modular design. It and it alone does the water filling. When it gets ready to dump ice the bi metal thermostat powers up the beast. The heater is energised and the motor. When the ice melts the main drive gear begins to move. You hear a click and the heater is shut down. The motor proceeds to turn around slowly and dump out the ice cubes. When it comes very near the end a probe sicking out from the innards rubs a copper plate behind the main drive gear. This energizes the water valve. The arcing associated from this resembles a bumper car at the fair rubbing the metal ceiling. Over time this plate gets coated with mess that insulates the plate and no power can get to the  water valve. If you is handy you can remove the gear being careful not to break the shaft which often happens, you can clean off the copper and go a ways longer with it or just buy another icemaker for boo-cullions of bucks.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Ice maker not working
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 06:33:17 PM »
Try to put some more water in ice maker again and see if it will push out the cubes again and if so you propably have a ice blockage in the black grommet at top freezer top.Sometimes in the back of refrigerator they have a fast disconnect in tubing going to ice maker or you can disconnect by water valve tubing going to ice maker and try to blow though it to see if you can if not frozen tube in freezer .

Video: See if your Whirlpool Ice maker infrared optics control is working.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 46887
Last post August 01, 2007, 12:21:37 PM
by AJ
No water from dispenser-ice maker working-replaced valve inlet

Started by Evan

Replies: 2
Views: 4320
Last post August 18, 2007, 05:17:53 PM
by Evan
Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker not working- please help