Author Topic: Scratching my head on ge refrigerator  (Read 1447 times)

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
Scratching my head on ge refrigerator
« on: July 21, 2012, 10:17:01 AM »
I'm scratching my head on this one. Ge refrigerator md # gss22jepaww. Complaint is whining fan motor. Well, motor is good, went to replace main board and box would not start so turn unit all the way up, open freezer door to warm sensor. No response. Got another board off the truck, new out of the box like the first one. Same thing, unit would not start. Put old board on, unit starts. Wtf. I'm very familiar with this box. I know it was correct part. Part # wr55x10942. Even changed thermister, mainly because it was the old design.nothing. I could see one board being bad, but not two. ??? ? :-\

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
Re: Scratching my head on ge refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 11:15:32 AM »
Does that model have the extra white wire you have to clip? Not sure if thats relevant or not.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 11:43:34 AM »
That would only effect the ff damper.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »
If that fan motor is bad it can kill a new board.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 07:29:26 PM »
Whining Evaporator fan motor i would think i would have to replace motor with thermistor and also new board again to see what happens.As you no if going to get stuck it probably will be a G.E. that will drive you nuts.  I had one like that but the evaporator fan motor was not working and i install new motor  with thermistor and put in new board and would not start. Put old board back in and it started right up.It also was a older model so i thought i would put in new board just in case.Never got a call back on it but i no board was good.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »
Update. Whining evap motor.. I work in one of the largest retirement communities in the united states, (the villiages fl) and have for at least 25 years,so I am very familiar with ge appliances. (all their appliances are ge) I have in stock currently at least 30 mother boards. With the whining evap motor 99.5 percent of the time it is the board and not the motor. If the resistors below the j2 connector is burnt or discolored I will also replace the motor. Well in this case where the board would not even power the unit up, and I'm still scratching my head on this one. What I done was replace the evap motor and the sensor that is in the same harness (only because it's the old faulty design sensor).well it's been three days, and no call back. Hope I'm not bragging to early. My friend Paul a thirty five year ge appliance tech has taken upon himself to help me solve this problem. Once I find out I will gladly share this valuable information.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »
Did you Install new board also?

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 06:10:27 PM »
Did you Install new board also?
Dab, reread my initial post.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 09:44:57 PM »
Harold I did read initial post and no that the compressor did not start after you install 2 boards.I no that you install new fan motor.But i just thought you might have tried to install new board just to see if compressor with new fan motor would make it start. Just in case i run in one like yours again.As in my post i had one with a bad fan motor which i change and thought i put in a new board and the compressor did not start like yours.Then put back old board and it started.I am just wondering why yours did not start and the one i had 3 years ago did not start.
I just hate not knowing.59 years old and still learning.Well maybe.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 05:09:45 AM »
I guess the main reason I didn't try the new board again was that both motors ohmed out the same. I probably should have. I hate not knowing as well. In this business you never stop learning.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »
i remember when G.E came out with the boards years ago and the side by side had one part number and bottom mount had another part number and the freezer on top had even another part number.Then i bought all the boards and time went on and later down the pike they all became the same number.And the part as been change so many times just maybe its not compatible with older units.

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Refrigerator - Water in bottom of fridge under drawers.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 87068
Last post July 08, 2007, 12:04:06 PM
by curtis
GE refrigerator/freezer

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 7
Views: 5035
Last post May 21, 2008, 05:44:45 AM
by Repair-man
kenmore refrigerator model # 52552100 no ice

Started by davelita

Replies: 6
Views: 11974
Last post August 04, 2007, 03:24:08 PM
by AJ
Kitchen Aid Refrigerator KSRS27QBL01

Started by texan2

Replies: 5
Views: 3583
Last post August 11, 2007, 06:30:49 AM
by AJ
Video: How to clear a Whirlpool made Refrigerator Defrost Drain Tube.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 19204
Last post August 11, 2007, 09:38:43 AM
by AJ
Kenmore refrigerator - how remove ice/water dispenser front panel

Started by Marvster

Replies: 1
Views: 25068
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:06:07 PM
by AJ