Author Topic: cool air coming from under refrierator  (Read 799 times)

Offline applianceking

• Technician
cool air coming from under refrierator
« on: July 17, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »
I am a newbie taking classes for appliance repair and have been doing some work here and there.... In my trouble shooting study of refrigerators I have read that you should check to make sure there is warm air coming out from under the refrigerator.. I have thought this was primarily to make sure the fan is running correctly by the compressor but I checked a frig today and noticed that there is air flow the fan is spinning but the air  seems quite cool... I was wondering if this is an indication of any common problems

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Re: cool air coming from under refrierator
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
Welcome to our site,

I am a newbie taking classes for appliance repair

Where are you taking classes?

I checked a frig today and noticed that there is air flow the fan is spinning but the air  seems quite cool...

Whats the complaint on the refrigerator?
Did you get it fixed or are you still working on it?

If the condenser fan is running and you think it's some kind of sealed system problem your dealing with I would be more concerned with looking at the frost pattern on the evaporator coil then at how much warm air is coming from underneath the refrigerator.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline applianceking

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »
I am studying on-line through Uncle Harry's ... I have been working for an apartment complex where we did most washer dryer and stove repair in house but I know nothing about refrigerators other then what I have read on-line.... The problem was not cooling properly... It appears the evaporator fan has seized.... There is power at the fan motor but it is not spinning and the blades do not turn freely...70 bucks on repair clinic (I didnt expect it to be so expensive) its a GE Model TBX14SABBRWW.. It looks like most of these motors mount the same... is their any universal type motors that can be used or are they all manufacture specific?

Online tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 03:57:53 PM »
SM999 will work for a lot of different motors.  I only use them if the original is not available.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »
I don't use a lot of after market parts, but Aspen manufacturing sells a pretty reliable evap motor p # erwr60x162. This motor turns counter clockwise but is reversible. I use this motor in many different design refrigs. I pay appr. $12.00. I've only ever had to replace one out of a thousand. On the ge, most turn cw. This is ccw so for two extra bucks I throw a fb403 five blade fan blade. Keeps me from reversing. Done. If your working on a lot of these is an apartment complex, it's a good part to keep on hand. This motor is in some cases better than the original part. Aspen 1-800-327-1794. Open a business acct and tell them to send you a catalog.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 07:33:06 PM »
I don't use a lot of after market parts, but Aspen manufacturing sells a pretty reliable evap motor p # erwr60x162. This motor turns counter clockwise but is reversible. I use this motor in many different design refrigs. I pay appr. $12.00. I've only ever had to replace one out of a thousand. On the ge, most turn cw. This is ccw so for two extra bucks I throw a fb403 five blade fan blade. Keeps me from reversing. Done. If your working on a lot of these is an apartment complex, it's a good part to keep on hand. This motor is in some cases better than the original part. Aspen 1-800-327-1794. Open a business acct and tell them to send you a catalog.

Or you could purchase the ERWR60X162 from our parts affiliate AppliancePartsPro.com for $3 more and help support our site.

They also have the fan blade part # fb403

Offline applianceking

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 09:52:16 PM »
Thank you all for the advise... This forum is great... The repair is for an apartment complex not for a little old lady  I am trying to dupe..lol.... and cost is a major factor for them.. they can buy another used refer for 150 with a 90 day warrnty....70 for the part plus labor would put it over the top for a repair.... Your suggestions make it a possible fix so I owe someone a beer.... is there anything I should look for to make sure that this part will in fact be compatible?  or is there anything I should be aware of in converting other then what is previously mentioned...... Thanks

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:59:47 PM »

Or you could purchase the ERWR60X162 from our parts affiliate AppliancePartsPro.com for $3 more and help support our site.

They also have the fan blade part # fb403
O0

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 10:04:56 PM »
Your suggestions make it a possible fix so I owe someone a beer

That would be tgoods and/or haroldsappliance as they are the GE experts. :)

is there anything I should look for to make sure that this part will in fact be compatible?  or is there anything I should be aware of in converting other then what is previously mentioned

I will have to leave them questions for the GE expects too as I hardly see any GE appliance around here.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

ice coming out of door only chrushed no matter where the switch on

Started by 7031496

Replies: 2
Views: 1443
Last post December 06, 2008, 09:59:22 AM
by 7031496
Westinghouse Frost Free 631 Fridge won't cool!

Started by LJ_Chaz

Replies: 10
Views: 2499
Last post May 31, 2009, 09:24:40 AM
by Icehouse
samsung twin cool

Started by mgarciag

Replies: 1
Views: 728
Last post May 25, 2012, 02:04:53 PM
by AJ
Refrigerator does not maintain cool temperature well