Author Topic: After power cut, no cold air  (Read 2893 times)

Offline michaeljc70

• VIP Member
After power cut, no cold air
« on: July 14, 2012, 03:41:55 PM »
I accidentally shut off the power at the circuit breaker for my furnace (not condenser) while looking for the circuit for something else. The a/c was on.

After turning the power back on, my a/c was not blowing cold air and the unit outside was not on. I went back to the circuit breaker and the double circuit for the a/c condenser was not all the way to off, but not all the way to on either, like it had been triggered off.

I flipped it to ON and turned the A/c on. The condenser turned on (well, at least the fan on top of it), but no cold air. I also heard a surge every few minutes. I have always heard a surge when first turning the a/c on.

I repeated turning the a/c on/off from the thermostat and still room temp air. Even tried turning it to heat, waiting, turning it back to a/c.

Any ideas? Could cutting the power to the furnace but not the condenser have fried something?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: After power cut, no cold air
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
You might have a burnt wire on the compressor. Sometimes a brief interruption can cause a terminal wire to melt. I would check for a fail compressor capacitor. Might be that the fan motr has a sep cap or that the fan side of the cap is ok. Could be a contact on the magnetic contator has been fried.
My page: https://sites.google.com/site/sublimeappliancerepair/ask-the-sublime-one-a-question/outside-condenser-blues
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »
Time delay could be faulty. Power off and then right back on is not good, hence the time delay component. That is the purpose, as pressure equalizing on the system will allow unit to start with less labor. Locked rotor amperage is four to six times that of running amps. Excess amps are always converted to heat. A loose connection will pull excess amps and could eventually burn and over heat a compressor terminal.

Offline michaeljc70

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 07:31:23 PM »
You might have a burnt wire on the compressor. Sometimes a brief interruption can cause a terminal wire to melt. I would check for a fail compressor capacitor. Might be that the fan motr has a sep cap or that the fan side of the cap is ok. Could be a contact on the magnetic contator has been fried.
My page: https://sites.google.com/site/sublimeappliancerepair/ask-the-sublime-one-a-question/outside-condenser-blues

After looking around on the web, I had actually taken the panel off the a/c unit and inspected the capacitor. It looked surprisingly new (unit is 11 years old). 

One thing that was a little "Burnt" was the thingy in the box on the side of my house. It is a metal electrical box and instead of a pull down handle, it has a cartridge like thing.  I pulled that out and it looked a little burnt and there was a little melted plastic on the box part.  I figured that probably isn't it as the unit has power and as I understand it, it either has power or it doesn't. 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 07:47:38 PM »
That might be a barrel fuse. Be careful with that.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline michaeljc70

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 07:58:11 PM »
That might be a barrel fuse. Be careful with that.

I looked up barrel fuse. It is something else.  It is rectangular and has a metal bar that pulls up so you can grab it and pull it out.  It appears that it just completes the circuit and there is no fuse or other parts in it.  I think it is just an alternative to the electrical box with the pull down handle to cut the power.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:01:03 PM by michaeljc70 »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 08:08:02 PM »
Got any pictures of it and the unit?

never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline michaeljc70

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 09:14:07 PM »
These should give you a pretty good idea.  It is an Armstrong unit BTW.

I appreciate the help.  I know I most likely need to get someone out.   However, believe it or not, I am having 50 people over tomorrow for a party.  I thought if it is something small I can take care of, it would save me. It is supposed to be 93 here tomorrow.   

I have 2 units. 1 for the lower 2 levels and one for the upper.  I am probably going to blast the upper level tomorrow and hope for the best. 

Offline michaeljc70

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 09:16:29 PM »
After looking at the pics closer, the purple wire looks a little burnt or at least dirty.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »
Red wire also looks burnt. Did you remove the cover on the compressor and look for burnt wires?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline michaeljc70

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
No. I didn't really realize there was a cover on it.  Are you talking just the part where the wires go in, or is there a cover over the whole thing?   

Assuming there are a couple burnt wires, those would just need to be replaced?  Since the unit does turn on (at least the fan), it seems like only the wires going to the compressor are a concern?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »
Under that cover is 3 pins. Each pin is attach to motor windings. Their is a C or common wire connected to both the R run winding and S start winding. So 3 pins R S and c. Look for one of them wires to be burnt (it happens). Look for leaks around the cap and a swollen top. cannot really tell from the photo angle. Is that capacitor a dual one. cannot tell from photo. The Contactor is a 30 amp 1.5 pole with a 24 volt solenoid coil. I would remove the cover over them 3 wires on the compressor and check each pin to copper and see if you have a short. I would look for burnt wires. I would make sure I had continuity between all 3 pins. I would check them wires that are connected to the contactor. You say it is pulling down (the fan comes on) so power is getting to both the compressor and the fan IF them wires are all good at the contactor. Which they look suspect.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline michaeljc70

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 11:01:43 AM »
Thanks for all the help.  I bought you a beer  :)

When I had time to look at it closer, the red wire was burnt and completely detached from the capacitor.  I reattached it and it is working great.

I need to get a new wire clip- the one in there the wire end was completely gone/burnt.  I hacked it for now with electrical tape since it is supposed to be 95 today.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »
Glad ye could Git her done! :pint1: :cheers: :banana:
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

MOVED: Duet washer using cold water rinse when warm is selected

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1553
Last post May 20, 2010, 02:27:52 AM
by AJ
Lear Siegler Gas Space Heater- If power goes out tonight

Started by wisconsindog

Replies: 1
Views: 4670
Last post February 01, 2011, 06:33:31 PM