Author Topic: Freezer not cooling/Refrigerator is fine  (Read 3487 times)

Offline gyoung345

• VIP Member
Freezer not cooling/Refrigerator is fine
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:43:47 AM »
Model Number: PFCS1NFWASS
Brand: GE

This is a bottom style french door refrigerator. Initially, we called for service because some food in the refrigerator went bad and food in the freezer had thawed.

I pulled out the unit unplugged and plugged it back in and the thermostat readings changed from 0F-Freezer 37F-Refrigerator to 37F-Freezer 52F-Refrigerator. The readings now explained why the food went bad and the freezer wasn't freezing.

The tech came out and said the board needed to be replaced along with some thermisters. He did the repair and left. Said it would need approximately 48 hours to cool back down.

Over 72 hours later and the temperature on the refrigerator is 37F and 18F for the freezer. Settings are set at 37F for fridge and 0F for the freezer. I called him back and told him the freezer was NOT freezing down to 0F. They called GE and GE recommended that if the freezer wasn't full it would take a long time for it to freeze. So I loaded the freezer with 4 Gallons of milk jugs filled with water and a bunch of water bottles. 48 hours later no change in temperature, though the water is frozen (but frozen waffles and popsicles are still soft)

Called service back and they came back and re-replaced the board. Now 48 hours later and the temperature on the refrigerator is 37F and 18F for the freezer.

Any ideas why the freezer is not freezing down to 0F? I asked the tech what the next steps were if this latest board replacement didn't work and he was kinda stumped and said, "Let's just hope this works."

Couple of other things I have noticed. I can feel heat coming from underneath the refrigerator. He said this is normal. But to me it just means the thing is working hard but not getting results. I do have a wireless thermostat that I have placed in both fridge and freezer and validated that temperatures being displayed on the refrigerator thermostat are accurate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
Re: Freezer not cooling/Refrigerator is fine
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:16:39 PM »
Clean condenser coil and make sure condenser fan is running and dissipating heat,

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 12:35:23 PM »
Make sure fan in freezer is working.Also are you getting ice from your ice maker .If not make sure ice maker is not stuck with heater on.  Do all the lights go off with door shut?Whats the part number of board did he put in?What thermistor did he replace?There are more than one.Make sure that condenser fan is working when compressor is on.

Offline gyoung345

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 12:55:23 PM »
Make sure fan in freezer is working.Also are you getting ice from your ice maker .If not make sure ice maker is not stuck with heater on.  Do all the lights go off with door shut?Whats the part number of board did he put in?What thermistor did he replace?There are more than one.Make sure that condenser fan is working when compressor is on.
I am not getting ice from the ice maker.  The lights all go off.  Not sure what the parts number, but he did say that he was replacing all the thermisters, since originally the freezer and refrigerator were not keeping cool.  Now it is just the freezer.  The lowest temp it will reach is 15F.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:00:33 PM »
Did he take freezer apart?At the bottom of ice maker there is a heater does that fill hot to the touch?

Offline gyoung345

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 01:33:09 PM »
Actually, I think I was getting ice from the ice-maker.  I turned it off and emptied the ice tray.  I am not sure where to feel to see if the heater under the ice maker is hot.  Under the ice-maker is empty space.

The first time he replaced the board he took the bottom (freezer) door off.  The second time, he just removed all the drawers and was able to get to it that way.  So I don't think he ever took the freezer apart.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Board is behind the refrigerator.So he would of had to pull refrigerator out to replace it.Heater is on the under side of ice maker.I no it would be hard for you to see.Maybe turn ice maker on and buy some ice cream and put it in freezer and see if ice cream is frozen solid tomorrow.Ice cream is a good indicator that something is wrong.If you keep opening door all the time and looking at temp.then it will never get down there.

Offline gyoung345

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 02:13:56 PM »
Board is behind the refrigerator.So he would of had to pull refrigerator out to replace it.Heater is on the under side of ice maker.I no it would be hard for you to see.Maybe turn ice maker on and buy some ice cream and put it in freezer and see if ice cream is frozen solid tomorrow.Ice cream is a good indicator that something is wrong.If you keep opening door all the time and looking at temp.then it will never get down there.
I will have to call the guy and talk to him.  Not sure what he replaced then yesterday.  Must have been a thermister in the freezer.  As for the temp, I put a wireless thermostat in there and can monitor it without opening the door.  Frozen waffles and popsicles are soft to the touch and the temp in the freezer bounces between 25F and 15F, but never lower.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 02:29:08 PM »
Ya you will have to wait until he comes back.At least you have some cooling.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
What is crazy about this model is that they don't meaning G.E. does not make the compressor inverter part # WR55 x10855 anymore.But i do not think it is your problem as this starts the compressor.Kind of young to not make this part anymore but that is G.E for you.Hope you did call G.E on this baby?

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »
Ok, you say he did not take freezer apart. If that is the case, he did not change the sensor located on the evaporator coil, and most importantly he did not remove frost build up which is a symptom of of the defrost problem. Frost build up associated with defrost problem will block the flow of air and would creat tempatures you are describing. Yank that cover off and remove the frost with a hair dryer.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 03:09:02 PM »
ya i think we don't no what he did at this point.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 03:30:56 PM »
I see that they change the inverter part # to Wr55x10490.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 08:31:01 AM »
 gyoung345  How is that refrigerator doing this morning?

Offline gyoung345

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 09:21:24 AM »
gyoung345  How is that refrigerator doing this morning?
Still stuck at 15F.

Today when I get a chance I will do the following:

I am sure the compressor is running otherwise it wouldn't be cooling at all, but I need to see if it is hot or warm.  It is my understanding that it should be warm but not so warm you can't touch it.  With the heat billowing out the bottom I am thinking it must be the compressor.  I will verify today and report back.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:23:31 AM by gyoung345 »

Problem with Kenmore refrigerator not cooling, but freezer and icemaker are ok

Started by Bigmetalman

Replies: 3
Views: 8187
Last post February 13, 2008, 11:03:25 AM
by Bigmetalman
KENMORE REFRIGERATOR NOT COOLING, FREEZER COLD

Started by whit

Replies: 3
Views: 5721
Last post December 17, 2008, 06:52:14 AM
by whit
GE side by side Refrigerator and freezer are not cooling.

Started by meamor

Replies: 1
Views: 5530
Last post January 15, 2009, 08:38:18 PM
by JWWebster
LG LRBC20512TT Bottom Freezer Refrigerator NOT COOLING fridge area!

Started by contactbrady

Replies: 7
Views: 10673
Last post February 07, 2010, 03:55:46 PM
by contactbrady
GE refrigerator not cooling at the top of the freezer

Started by krazytech

Replies: 11
Views: 3303
Last post May 25, 2011, 08:12:12 PM
by krazytech
Refrigerator not cooling and lots of frost in freezer.

Started by 8ball

Replies: 4
Views: 1490
Last post December 16, 2011, 05:54:21 PM
by AJ