Forum > Heating & Air Conditioning Repair

Rheem condenser fan not working

<< < (2/3) > >>

jumptrout51:
Open the control panel. With the thermostat set in the OFF position,look at the pull down bar on the contactor. If it is engaged and the condenser is running,grip the pull down with your pliers and GENTLY pull it up. If this works it will have been because the contactor points were welded together. You will still need a new contactor,but it may work OK until help arrives.

LowSL2:
Mr Personality came back. Was the contacter. The old one was definitely fried. Thanks for the info tho.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Wedgeman55:
     We have a lot of old Rheem units in my area, and when I'm working on them,  I always replace the contactor if it is ancient.  Those contacts only last so long.    I show the customer, and tell them it is cheaper if I do it when Im there so they don't have to pay for another service call and more labor.   
     Since you have home warranty,  you don't have to pay another deductable  (hopefully)   

kello:

--- Quote from: JWWebster on July 08, 2012, 07:57:12 PM ---Move the motor by hand. Any lateral movement of over 1/8th inch and she is poling out (worn bearing) Any vertical movement over 1/4th inch and that motor bearing is gone. Is it hot to the touch or cold? Like Steven says check the cap for swelling or leaking:
https://sites.google.com/site/sublimeappliancerepair/ask-the-sublime-one-a-question/charging-a-window-air-conditioning-unit/window-air-conditioner-woes/checking-a-capacitor

I know you said central but window units work the same way and have the same capacitor issues, pressure (68 PSI or thereabouts), and freon R-22 as central units at least the ones I know about anyway.  :tickedoff:

--- End quote ---

Icehouse:

--- Quote from: JWWebster on July 08, 2012, 07:57:12 PM ---Move the motor by hand. Any lateral movement of over 1/8th inch and she is poling out (worn bearing) Any vertical movement over 1/4th inch and that motor bearing is gone. Is it hot to the touch or cold? Like Steven says check the cap for swelling or leaking:
https://sites.google.com/site/sublimeappliancerepair/ask-the-sublime-one-a-question/charging-a-window-air-conditioning-unit/window-air-conditioner-woes/checking-a-capacitor

I know you said central but window units work the same way and have the same capacitor issues, pressure (68 PSI or thereabouts), and freon R-22 as central units at least the ones I know about anyway.  :tickedoff:

--- End quote ---
Come on JW you'se as smart as a whip :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version