Author Topic: Help please! My freezer gets iced at the bottom  (Read 4006 times)

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Help please! My freezer gets iced at the bottom
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 08:21:31 AM »
If the ice is building up on floor of freezer and you are low on funds you still have cooling and as long as the ice is not building up into evaporator just use it as is.Once the ice builds up thick enough you can hit it with a hammer and it will break up easy to clear it out.Just a slow whack with the hammer will do the trick.To bad you can't shut the refrigerator of for a couple days and then try to clear drain as posted.I think you still have clog drain.If can take back panel of and find the tube were it drains into drain pan see if you can clear it that way.If you get it clear pour lemon juice into the freezer drain pan under evaporator to kill algae as this is the most common reason for it to plug up.You will no when its clear it will run right into drain pan very fast.Shutting off would be your best bet if you can until you get it clear at this point.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 10:09:20 AM »
I don't necessarily disagree with the technician but I don't agree that it's not repairable.  I think a lot of drain freeze ups are caused by insulation degradation.  If a heat probe attached to the defrost heater doesn't fix it, a drain heater can be installed.  I use an SH250 or SH201, wire it in parallel with the defrost heater.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Help please! My freezer gets iced at the bottom
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »
I have use them in the past and are very good. Even stock one. The way she is talking I don't thing this drain has been clear to the point of a lot of hot water getting to drain pan.

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 08:05:11 PM »
I don't use any of that fancy stuff. I have 2-16oz. cups, Large sringe with a piece of 1/4" pex tubing (icemaker line) 8" long twisted on the end. I fill 1 of the cups with hot water and squirt the hot water in the tray melting the ice toward the hole, I suck the water up each time and fill the other cup (to avoid the mess). When I have removed the ice to the hole, I gradually start working the hose down the hose sqirting hot water as I go until the drain is clear or I reach an obstruction. Have only encountered 1 obstruction that would not melt and it was a foam ball,  A Frigidaire top mount was able to blow it out with compressed air.  Sringe is a buck at the pharmacy and the tubing is less than a buck at the hardware store.

Offline PerrysRepair

• Technician
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 12:02:47 AM »
I use an empty and cleaned zoom-spout bottle filled with hot water to clear ice obstructions. Works for me!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:03:35 AM by PerrysRepair »

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »
I have been thinking about the technicians comments.
1. The insulation is bad? 30 years ago there was a Frigidaire top mount where the styrofoam insulation around the drain would get waterlogged and freeze creating a block of ice. Haven't seen that in a modern refrigerator.
2. The refrigerator is too close to a gas stove? I would really like to hear the reasoning on that one.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »
Ya and all the G.E refrigerator with the evaporator flat on the styrofoam and became water log.Thats one reason most evaporators are mounted vertically.I think if  they make the  drain hole to small to get the defrost water out of the freezer before the cooling starts.Been doing 38 years.Look at some whirlpool refrigerators with the freezer on the top the cheaper models the drain hole is to small to get the water out of the freezer and also shorter defrost time. They had that problem 30 years ago.But it does give a job.They can over engineer appliances but can,t make the drain hole bigger.And sometime things like algae grow in drain tubes or other stuff like dirt is in there plugging up the drain system .I the old days they would make a appliance for 20 30 years before changing product.Now the engineers are making a new appliance like a whirlpool cabrio and finding problems then starting over again with a new design.That is even worse my opinion.

Amana Bottom Freezer Refrig - Fan Cycling

Started by kdaug

Replies: 5
Views: 4381
Last post August 08, 2008, 02:28:50 PM
by Repair-man
frozen water in bottom of freezer, leaks on floor

Started by soccrates

Replies: 3
Views: 3728
Last post June 19, 2009, 05:52:22 AM
by Repair-man