Author Topic: Help please! My freezer gets iced at the bottom  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: Help please! My freezer gets iced at the bottom
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »
Go around to the back of the refrigerator and remove the cover at the bottom. The drain pan is the same pan that holds the fan motor. You should be able to see the drain tube that comes out of the freezer. When you get the ice out of the freezer and pour water down the hole you will see it go into the pan. If not then the tube is plugged up. I use a Bissel Steam Shot to clear defrost drains. Works like magic.

Offline ScottyMo1

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »
Are we sure the icemaker is not leaking. If you are experiencing build up that quickly, could be a leaky or overflowing icemaker. If you are not seeing alot of ice build up under the evaporator....

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:46:29 PM »
Not exactly sure where the evaporator is located, but the ice builds up in that tiny depression at the bottom of the freezer, until it is level with the rest of the body, and then it continues to build up and forward towards the door, and then drips out under the door and onto the floor. 

I have never seen any ice build up anywhere near the ice maker.  We did turn the water off at the valve behind the fridge for about 2-3 weeks, and we still had ice build up at the bottom and drip out from the bottom of the door and onto the floor.  If there is a blockage at the tube, how can I get it out?  Is it something easy to see, can I see it on a youtube video or a repairclinic video?

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »
Your problem is what bailey said, drain is stopped up.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline ScottyMo1

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
Yep, Drain is still clogged. You will need to take off the cover in the freezer section, and follow the directions above to make sure the tube is clear.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 11:51:08 PM »
The evaporator is the coil behind the wall in the back of the freezer. Take out the shelves. Look for the screws that hold the cover in place and remove the cover
because it is the only way you can get access to the drain opening. Stick some kind of tube in it and blow it out.You should hear the sound of the air coming out underneath the refrigerator. When I use a turkey baster I fill it up with water and jam it into the hole and give a good squeeze.

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »
OK gentlemen, a response to your suggestions.

We tried hot water in a baster, the steam shot, etc, and still getting ice build up. We even took of the panel in the back (at the bottom, it is about 15" tall and the full width of the unit) and looked for the drain tube.  Can't see anything, because in front of the fan, there is a full sheet of metal at an angle covering everything up.  Afraid to remove the fins inside the freezer, one because they are sharp, and two, there appears to be a thermocoupler there which I am afraid will break (and then I am stuck with buying a new fridge altogether).  And when it rains, it pours, I now have a problem with the dryer.

Any more suggestions here?  Please?

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 06:40:22 PM »
BTW, we also tried sticking a few pipe cleaners down the drain (from the inside, under the sharp fins).  It doesn't get caught up on anything, and yet overnight the water recollects and starts sheeting up at the bottom.  I am on the verge of tears, very frustrated.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 11:04:20 PM »
If you remove the ice in the little collection pan at the bottom of the coil, the put some water in the pan does it run down the hole?

Offline elgato

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 02:54:04 PM »
hey is it possble there are getting inthere from the back or thur the drain and when outside air hit the evap coil turn to ice fast i seen that happen before

Amana Bottom Freezer Refrig - Fan Cycling

Started by kdaug

Replies: 5
Views: 5751
Last post August 08, 2008, 02:28:50 PM
by Repair-man
frozen water in bottom of freezer, leaks on floor

Started by soccrates

Replies: 3
Views: 5519
Last post June 19, 2009, 05:52:22 AM
by Repair-man