Author Topic: Help please! My freezer gets iced at the bottom  (Read 5001 times)

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
Help please! My freezer gets iced at the bottom
« on: July 08, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »
Once again I reach out to all of you for help.  And thank you for last time - your suggestion, a little elbow grease and $70 saved me from buying a new $800 dishwasher.

Ok, I have a Frigidaire side by side refrigerator (model # FRS22ZRG).  Ice jams up at the bottom of the freezer, and then water seeps out from under the door and pools all over the kitchen floor. I found the YouTube video on how to unstick the ice/clog in the drain at the bottom of the freezer, but my unit is not quite the same.  There is a grill cover over the working parts at the back of the freezer.  I did unplug it for about an hour (not more, everything was really melting fast in this heat), and pointed a hair dryer at the back coils, but unfortunately it still has not worked.  I can't get the little bolts off of the grill cover - I don't have anything that small).  What tool do I need?  What else do I need to do?  I don't have the $1800-2200 to replace this unit. 

I thank you in advance for you help.  It is much appreciated.

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
Re: Help please! My freezer gets iced at the bottom
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »
You have to get the tool you need to get the back panel off the freezer section. There's a drain hole in there that needs to be thawed out. A hair dryer and something to pick the ice away should work. The only other way is to turn off the frig and wait for the drain to clear. Also, after the hole is clear pour some hot water down the drain to make sure the drain tube is clear. There might be something in the drain hole causing it to freeze.

Online ScottyMo1

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »
Strange, I just finished clearing the drain on my own frig... You will have to get the tool, probably a 1/4 inch nut driver, remove the rear cover, and clear out all ice that you see. Be very careful not to pick at it with anything sharp as you could cause damage to the coil also the fins are very sharp and will cut you. The best way I have found to clear it is with hot water. Get a small bucket, I use a ice cream bucket, and a turkey baster, grab some towels, and squirt hot water over the ice to melt it. Once you've cleared the ice, squirt one or two basters full of water down the drain hole to clear it. Good Luck....

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 09:57:48 PM »
Thanks guys. I did what you said, took the screws off of the back to reveal the coils.  There is a small hole at the bottom which has a clear tube running though it, maybe 1/4" diameter?  anyway, I didn't see very much ice.  Despite it, I tried to feel around for a clog but found it very hard to reach ( in 5'1", my hands are not big either), but did not feel anything there (including no caked up ice).  You were right , the fins are sharp (no i did not cut myself), so I turned a hair dryer onto it.  Any water at the bottom of the section dried up, and I used some very hot water in a watering can (with a very long nozzle) to pour down the drain.  A bit of the water did go down, and then the rest bubbled over from the top (I don't know how much water can really go down the drain).  I popped the front grill (at the bottom) off, but did not see a drain pan like the YouTube video. 

Anyway, I have replaced all the melting food (minus 2 scoops of ice cream) and turned the unit back on.  Pray for me, I am leaving for a week, and would hate to see a puddle on the floor when I get back.   If you guys have any other suggestions, please do let me know.  I really cannot afford a new fridge, money is very tight here.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:48:05 PM »
the rest bubbled over from the top

The drain is still clogged, the water should flow freely through the drain tube.  If you have one of those steam cleaners, they work very well for clearing drains.  Otherwise, you'll have to force hot water down the drain.  A turkey baster, like scottymo suggested, works well.

Offline elgato

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 11:08:25 PM »
hey that a good ideal what kind of steam cleaner is it i shound use cause i buy that today i run into that alot sould cut my time in half
 8)

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 11:37:16 PM »
Dear TGOODS,

Ok, will I be able to do it with the back grill put back on?  I had put it back on to avoid anything pushing against the fins and bending then. 

-NJ Mom

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 04:58:23 AM »
There are several ways to solve a clogged drain. This is the way I've been doing it for a long time. Boil water in a medium size pot. Take that hot water and work it back and forth with a cheap turkey baster. Once clear, pour remaining water down drain. Lastly, I blow it out with a short piece of 1/2 inch tube. Takes about 15 minutes.

Online ScottyMo1

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 03:44:50 PM »
I actually use a thing I picked up at the auto parts store (can't think of the name of it.) It's used to add water to a car battery. Heavy duty and works well. I suggested a turkey baster since that is something a homeowner would understand and have, or can pick up a cheap one......

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »
Ok, please help again.  I have tried these repairs several times, using hot water, a hair dryer, a Bissell Steamer, and just defrosting it ( and we couldn't eat the melting ice cream fast enough).  We still keep getting ice at the bottom, usually within a matter of 12 hours.  Is there a heating element or a fan that may be burned out?  I even vacuumed the back and the underside of the fridge ( there is no pan underneath).  I am really getting tired.  Do I need to call a serviceman?  I would hate to think all of our hard work will not pay off.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »
Go around to the back of the refrigerator and remove the cover at the bottom. The drain pan is the same pan that holds the fan motor. You should be able to see the drain tube that comes out of the freezer. When you get the ice out of the freezer and pour water down the hole you will see it go into the pan. If not then the tube is plugged up. I use a Bissel Steam Shot to clear defrost drains. Works like magic.

Online ScottyMo1

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »
Are we sure the icemaker is not leaking. If you are experiencing build up that quickly, could be a leaky or overflowing icemaker. If you are not seeing alot of ice build up under the evaporator....

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:46:29 PM »
Not exactly sure where the evaporator is located, but the ice builds up in that tiny depression at the bottom of the freezer, until it is level with the rest of the body, and then it continues to build up and forward towards the door, and then drips out under the door and onto the floor. 

I have never seen any ice build up anywhere near the ice maker.  We did turn the water off at the valve behind the fridge for about 2-3 weeks, and we still had ice build up at the bottom and drip out from the bottom of the door and onto the floor.  If there is a blockage at the tube, how can I get it out?  Is it something easy to see, can I see it on a youtube video or a repairclinic video?

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »
Your problem is what bailey said, drain is stopped up.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Online ScottyMo1

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
Yep, Drain is still clogged. You will need to take off the cover in the freezer section, and follow the directions above to make sure the tube is clear.

Amana Bottom Freezer Refrig - Fan Cycling

Started by kdaug

Replies: 5
Views: 5441
Last post August 08, 2008, 02:28:50 PM
by Repair-man
frozen water in bottom of freezer, leaks on floor

Started by soccrates

Replies: 3
Views: 5191
Last post June 19, 2009, 05:52:22 AM
by Repair-man