Author Topic: Freezer not cooling enough (FFU20FC4AW0)  (Read 3212 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Freezer not cooling enough (FFU20FC4AW0)
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
My brother in law thawed out his mini fridge with a knife and now it won't work. Wanted to know if I could bypass the evaporator since he pretty much did a Bates motel on it. LOL I am gonna repair it and make a video. In your style ice box the leaks mainly occur near the heater element used to defrost. If you do find a hole near the defrost heater you may want to replace the defrost bi-metal because it may be allowing the heater to get too hot before it shuts down. I have an old school halide torch and some Bird Dog bubbles I intend to use to locate the leaks and intend to use a 2 part epoxy to repair the leaks. The service ear was pinced real close to the steel pipe going into the compressor so it is gonna be a bear to solder a new access valve. When the rain lets up and I have the time gonna get on it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:22:54 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 12:06:18 PM »
Here is what I been doing so far:

never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 09:39:41 PM »
Today:

never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Brent@CanBC

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 04:10:20 AM »
Well JW,   its been a long time since doing a ice box like you have there.    I sold all my refrigeration equipment to a new tech on the block down the road,  and was not doing sealed systems anymore, so that was it.  Well a few years later,  and as I have got older,  my hearing and sight, and memory is up and left me.   So now,  I have allowed 6 of these really fancy big sxs fridges with all the horns and whisles etc, back in,  as they said, they had a refrigeration man fix the leaks in them,  but they never lasted long.  So I want to find out why.  Is the leak in the walls, where you cannot get to the leaks,  or is the problem with how they were done.  So I bought all the equipment again.   Watching your fix and seeing the frost,  etc  brings back a lot of memories in fixing the older ice boxes.    Seeing your results,  and the frost,  my eyes are not that  bad hey.   I could also see the gauge readings,  after the gas was put in,  and also the Vac readings, so some guy will have a good beer cooler hey?  Brent@CanBC

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 08:59:50 PM »
The result video:

never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 09:01:32 PM »
Stay tuned the patch either didn't hold or I didn't find all the leaks. I got it back this afternoon gonna do some more looking and report back.
Told yall that pressure was a mutha.  :rofl: BTW: did I mention yall have a 50/50 chance of fixing these?  :2funny:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:02:48 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Problem with Kenmore refrigerator not cooling, but freezer and icemaker are ok

Started by Bigmetalman

Replies: 3
Views: 9367
Last post February 13, 2008, 11:03:25 AM
by Bigmetalman
Whirlpool Freezer Intermittant Cooling

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2247
Last post August 14, 2008, 06:28:49 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Frigidaire Freezer not Cooling

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 10159
Last post August 30, 2008, 07:54:56 AM
by TechnicianBrian
CROSLEY FRIDGE FREEZER NOT COOLING

Started by flair

Replies: 9
Views: 8332
Last post October 15, 2009, 08:02:50 PM
by JWWebster
KENMORE REFRIGERATOR NOT COOLING, FREEZER COLD

Started by whit

Replies: 3
Views: 6592
Last post December 17, 2008, 06:52:14 AM
by whit
GE side by side Refrigerator and freezer are not cooling.

Started by meamor

Replies: 1
Views: 6629
Last post January 15, 2009, 08:38:18 PM
by JWWebster