Author Topic: Need Help Diagnosing Issue With Upright Washer  (Read 1252 times)

Offline jknober

• VIP Member
Need Help Diagnosing Issue With Upright Washer
« on: July 07, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »
Not sure if anyone can help, but I need help diagnosing an issue with my washer. I have been working on my Kenmore washer for a couple weeks and have so far replaced the drain pump and motor coupler. I have also removed the tub for no other reason than i did not know what i was looking for before I replaced the coupler. Now after the coupler repair the washer started spinning slowly until finally it doesn't spin at all. The agitator is also not working. I could hear the motor running when in the agitation and spin cycles, but no movement. I pulled the motor again and the couple is still OK, so now I do not know what the problem can be. I am sure that I can fix the problem, but I do not know how to diagnose the issue to know what to fix. I am at my wits end here and do not know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Re: Need Help Diagnosing Issue With Upright Washer
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
Hi,

Could you post the model number for us?

Is it just the top half of the agitator that is not working during the wash cycle or does the bottom half not agitate either?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline jknober

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:11:49 PM »
Sorry about that, I am sure that would be helpful information. It is a Kenmore series 80, model number 110.25842400, type 111

Agitator ans spin were working slower and slower and with a heavy load everything quit all together. I can hear it running but no spin or agitation make it to the tub. Is it possible when i replaced the coupler that I did not get the clutch together correct?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
Is it possible when i replaced the coupler that I did not get the clutch together correct?

Guess anything is possible. You should not have had to do anything with the clutch when you replaced the coupler to start with.

One thing to watch for on the clutch is to make sure the metal tab is inside the slot as shown in this photo.

Here is a video that may help to, clutch part # 285785

The washer should still agitate regardless of the clutch.

Maybe the dogs in the agitator are bad, part # 80040

Offline jknober

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 04:45:15 PM »
Lets try this again. I think my attachments were to large the last time.

I think my clutch is OK. I have attached a couple of pictures. The only thing that may be wrong is that the part attached under the tub can be pulled in and out about an inch. I have 2 pictures of that showing how much it moves.

Another thing I've been thinking it could be is that i put something together incorrectly after pulling it all appart previously. I have pulled the tub before and put that back together. Is there anything in that or anything underneath that i should look at to see if it is tightened to tight or wrong?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »
That thing on the bottom that you can move in and out is the Basket Drive and Brake Assembly Part # 285792

You want to make sure it's pushed all the way up into the washer.

The other end of the Basket Drive attaches to the Drive Block Part # 389140

You should make sure the Drive Block is installed on the end of the Basket Drive correctly.
The end of the basket drive tube has two ears that line up with two notches inside the drive block.

Also make sure the large nut is tight that holds the basket onto the drive block.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 05:54:29 PM »
If you failed to line up the drive block with the basket when tightening her down (or failed to get it tight enough) it will spin out and that tub nut will back out, get loose, and no longer hold the basket. Take the agitator off and remove the tub nut realign the drive block correctly and retry is what I would do. Seen it.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Washer Issue - Runs, Fills, Start Wash...Loud Grinding for 60s, Drain, Spin Done

Started by Moose101

Replies: 16
Views: 6656
Last post April 30, 2008, 05:39:30 PM
by AJ
Upright Washer Odor

Started by Iceman 71

Replies: 3
Views: 1708
Last post December 01, 2008, 09:52:32 AM
by Iceman 71
Washer leaking...pics to confirm issue...help...

Started by erocki

Replies: 2
Views: 1269
Last post February 27, 2009, 06:11:24 AM
by Repair-man
Top Load Washer Drain Issue

Started by md2433

Replies: 2
Views: 1312
Last post September 24, 2009, 05:08:21 PM
by Repair-man
Maytag washer NO DRAIN issue