Author Topic: The good ole' hot room problem!  (Read 3610 times)

Offline stream41

• VIP Member
The good ole' hot room problem!
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:59:28 AM »
Hi guys, we're having a problem with a couple of hot rooms, and I thought the HVAC forum would be the best place to ask. We have a house that's roughly 3.5 years old and well-insulated (as far as we know). We have two front bedrooms that directly face the eastern sun all morning. Those two rooms also have very large windows, and the room that gets the hottest also has a crescent window above the main window. We're talking big windows - they take up 70 to 80% of the walls. This is a one-story house. I don't know specifically what type of windows are installed, but I suspect they're just the basic "entry level" window that a builder would choose by default.

We set the thermostat on 76/77 during the day, and the main rooms and other bedrooms stay at about 76 to 78 during the day. However, those two front bedrooms get well up into the mid 80's. I'm thinking that it has to be the windows letting in all the heat, right? Both rooms have one A/C vent, with no return vent, and we leave the bedroom doors open. The rest of the house stays where it "should" be, and the only difference between these rooms and the rest of the house is the huge sun-facing windows.

We were thinking of having the windows tinted as a first step, before we dive into a bunch of expensive HVAC work. What do you guys think? I know this is sort of a vague problem without knowing a lot more details, but I'm just doing some brainstorming at this point.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: The good ole' hot room problem!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:24:39 PM »
I set my thermostat for 72 this time of year during the day. For 10 months of the year it is summer here. 77 or 78 only works at night and that is with a fan going.
 Have you thought about maybe some shade trees in front of them windows? We also use indoor wooden blinds/shutters. They are expensive but block out sunlight on hot days and allow more sun in during colder months.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline stream41

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 01:29:48 PM »
I set my thermostat for 72 this time of year during the day. For 10 months of the year it is summer here. 77 or 78 only works at night and that is with a fan going.
 Have you thought about maybe some shade trees in front of them windows? We also use indoor wooden blinds/shutters. They are expensive but block out sunlight on hot days and allow more sun in during colder months.

Whew! We'd have a $400 electric bill if we did 72 during the day! Those rooms do have wooden blinds, which stay closed shut all day. You can still feel the heat radiating into the room from the windows if you stand in front of them.

So you wouldn't put much stock in the tinting idea? Our veterinarian here in town had his windows tinted in his building, and he said it made a dramatic difference with their heat problem. That's what got me thinking about it.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »
Window tinting may not be a bad idea. I did my van. What you do is wet the glass with windex and apply the tint. Do it at night when the heat ain't hitting the glass. Work the wrinkles out quickly before the windex drys. Let it dry out naturally and it probably will help. I know it does in my van. That is when I actually have the doors on the van. It is so hot I took them off. LOL :rofl: 440 ac 4 doors removed@40mph  :2funny:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:12:05 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 12:08:12 AM »
I had friend install reflective tint (reflective on the outside) on his windows, and it helped out quite a bit.  He tinted the whole house.  It is pretty darn dark inside, maybe too dark.
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline stream41

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 12:10:18 AM »
Okay, cool, we may start with that then.

If that doesn't help enough, what would our HVAC options be? Or rather, what would be the cheapest HVAC option we should try first?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 12:30:33 AM »
Add small window units to them rooms.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 06:34:25 AM »
adjust the Dampers (partially closed) inside the Supply Vents to each of the other rooms.
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 12:34:48 PM »
What zone are you in?
What is the square footage of the house?
What size condensing unit do you have?
Where is the air handler installed?
Where are the supply ducts in these rooms in relation to the doors?
How high are the ceilings?
House foundation slab or off-grade?
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 12:35:39 PM »
All good ideas, try putting a small fan in the rooms, out.

Maytag Airconditioner problem

Started by smckeown

Replies: 8
Views: 8130
Last post July 25, 2007, 05:33:44 PM
by AJ
A/C problem

Started by tmh

Replies: 6
Views: 5180
Last post June 26, 2009, 07:20:50 PM
by jumptrout51
How long for a 10,000 unit to cool an 10x18 room?

Started by tajee

Replies: 3
Views: 2233
Last post June 25, 2010, 09:26:29 PM
by JWWebster
Outside clearance above room AC - is six inches below awning OK?

Started by PaulEd1

Replies: 6
Views: 2876
Last post July 19, 2010, 11:43:18 PM
by JWWebster
Ruud Air-condition possible compressor problem. urka-a060jk10e

Started by ryan111

Replies: 15
Views: 7834
Last post October 03, 2010, 06:22:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Goodman Furnace Ignitor Problem GUO75-3 Rev C,S