Forum > Heating & Air Conditioning Repair

The good ole' hot room problem!

<< < (3/3)

JWWebster:
Saw a fancy split system down at the parts store. It comes with 3 individual evaporators that can be hung in different rooms on the wall. The HVAC parts guy says his FIL has a couple of em installed in his house. They doing a pretty good job. Get this the thang was only $1500 bucks and it is a heatpump!

stream41:

--- Quote from: jumptrout51 on June 30, 2012, 12:34:48 PM ---What zone are you in?
What is the square footage of the house?
What size condensing unit do you have?
Where is the air handler installed?
Where are the supply ducts in these rooms in relation to the doors?
How high are the ceilings?
House foundation slab or off-grade?

--- End quote ---

I'll answer the ones I can:

1) What's a zone? Do you mean climate zone? If so, I'm in central Arkansas
2) 2150sqft
3) I believe we have either a 4 or 5-ton unit, I'll check to be sure. We've had an HVAC guy tell us in the past that it's the right size for our house, FWIW
4) In the attic
5/6) The ceilings are vaulted, and about 12 to 14 feet high at the peak. The supply vents are about halfway up the "triangle" side of the vaultings. Not sure that makes sense - I can take a pic if needed. They're probably....6 to 8 feet from the doors
7) Slab foundation

jumptrout51:
More supply ducts in these rooms would have been better,but,too late now with vaulted ceilings.
4-5 tons is right for footage.
Check the air handler for air leaking out around seams.
Use metal foil tape to tape all air handler seams.
Squeegee the tape down for a tight fit.
TINT THE WINDOWS. Use reflective tint.

stream41:

--- Quote from: jumptrout51 on June 30, 2012, 07:08:40 PM ---More supply ducts in these rooms would have been better,but,too late now with vaulted ceilings.
4-5 tons is right for footage.
Check the air handler for air leaking out around seams.
Use metal foil tape to tape all air handler seams.
Squeegee the tape down for a tight fit.
TINT THE WINDOWS. Use reflective tint.

--- End quote ---
Okay, good advice! Is there a reflective tint that looks relatively "normal" - or will it all be pretty dark? Do you know an approximate (just looking for a wild guess here) price I should expect to tint two 6'x8' windows?

jumptrout51:
You might consider this product by 3M company.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/Sun_Control_Window_Films/Prestige_Series/
Click on their dealer link for a dealer near you.
As JW said "do it yourself".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version