Author Topic: Help this gal solve the mystery of the ice on her chute please!  (Read 568 times)

Offline hschild

• VIP Member
I have a GE GSH25JFTABB side by side refrigerator freezer that had two issues.  It started giving me only crushed ice and started icing up only in the section directly under the ice maker.  I've had two service calls and my son and I trouble shot the first one (thanks to this board which is pretty good for a gal!) and figured out that it was the rear solenoid.  $180 later they replaced that but two service men have said there is nothing wrong with anything else and while I now have whole ice cubes they still are freezing together and there is ice on the ice chute with drip lines of frozen water and ice on the food on two of the center shelves.  They said the flap was closing but further checking on this forum and I see that there might be a possibility that the chute closes but the flap might curl just enough to let in air?  I only have 30 days to get them to come back and I am going on vacation and this is driving me crazy and I am spending hours online trying to self diagnose after already spending all this money. The computer said everything else checked out.  Any help would be appreciated.  Is it possible that the front solenoid is still bad even though the chute appears to close?  Does the flap need replacing?  Can you replace it?  Everything else has been checked, doors seal well, could it be that terminator on the defrost motor I read about?  HELP please! 

Read more: http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=10156.0#ixzz1yobmdM5f

Okay, guys, I replaced the flap and the other solenoid and the freezer is still icing up.  My husband is ready to call the place back up but I am a little hesitant since they never figured it out to begin with and I still have two weeks on their "warranty of service".  So far all they've done is put in the first solenoid which I originally diagnosed was the problem and that already cost me &180 dollars.  Any other ideas?  I still see water frozen on some of the racks like little drips on the edge. I am wondering if I should call another repair place even though this one has had very good ratings.  Thanks again for any help. :)

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Help this gal solve the mystery of the ice on her chute please!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »
Make sure to check door gaskets are they shutting ok.

Offline hschild

• VIP Member
Re: Help this gal solve the mystery of the ice on her chute please!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 10:06:06 AM »
My door is shutting fine and is nice and tight.  Both technicians commented that it was a good seal.  But now that the ice is working fine, I can't even leave it working because it melts over and starts solidifying into blocks that can't turn over and be dispensed over the course of about a day and a half. 

Help this gal solve the mystery of the ice on her chute please!

Started by hschild

Replies: 10
Views: 1323
Last post June 09, 2012, 12:18:59 AM
by hschild
Ice Chute flapper door

Started by Patrick

Replies: 1
Views: 1840
Last post November 25, 2009, 11:23:46 PM
by niobrara
frost in the ice dispenser chute in freezer