Author Topic: Whirlpool Steam Dryer F23 Error Code  (Read 6199 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Whirlpool Steam Dryer F23 Error Code
« on: April 25, 2008, 02:14:05 PM »

Model Number: WED9600TW0 icon, this dryer would run for about 1 minute and then shut off and display an F23 error code. This error indicates the outlet thermistor has shorted preventing an accurate temperature reading. Thermistors are temperature sensitive semiconductor devices that are used in many appliances to monitor temperature much like a thermostat. They are often referred to as NTC's (negative temperature coefficient) meaning their resistance will decrease as the temperature increases and this resistance is used by the electronics (any appliance using a thermistor must have an electronic board) to determine the temperature. Instead of accessing the thermistor terminals directly, I removed the top panel to get to the control board so I could do a resistance check of the wire harness from the thermistor that way I could test two of the three possible failure items at the same time. After checking, the thermistor didn't read as a short but instead tested OK and since I checked at the control board, I was also verifying the wire harness at the same time. The thermistor and harness checked OK, leaving the failure as being the control board which after replacement, now allows the unit to dry clothes again.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 02:14:48 PM by AJ »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool Steam Dryer F23 Error Code
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
Brian one of them thermisters will not read continuity like an old school thermostat will. How can we know if that joker is working properly?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Re: Whirlpool Steam Dryer F23 Error Code
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:25:02 PM »
You are correct.  Thermistors read specific resistance readings at specific temperatures (usually found in the tech sheet), but a good way to test them for basic operation is to measure their resistance and then hold it in your hand.  The resistance reading should decrease as the temperature increases from your hand.  If it reads as an open or a short, it is bad. 

whirlpool elect duet dryer f70 error code repair need repair manual

Started by gregaguilar

Replies: 3
Views: 1198
Last post September 04, 2014, 07:52:39 AM
by Blaiser
Whirlpool Dryer E1 error code

Started by app1

Replies: 2
Views: 304
Last post September 16, 2014, 01:43:55 PM
by dab147315