Author Topic: Desperately seeking advice! Load sensing washer won't fill.  (Read 6676 times)

Offline midwest

• VIP Member
My whirlpool top load washer with auto load sensing technolgy, Model# WTW57ESVW0 will not fill with either hot or cold water. It does not agitate, but will spin/drain. This started after I crammed slipcovers into the full tub causing a lot of suds to spill over the back of tub. I thought the suds possibly traveled behind the plastic flap that covers water inlet valve and caused selenoids to short out or the pressure from pushing them down caused a problem with pressure hose or water level switch. Tube was clear and I replaced inlet valve and still have the problem. I saw someone else post the same problem with this model. The ATC is mentioned as providing power to inlet valve, unfortunately I do not have a voltage meter. Could the suds have caused the ATC to go out or the or the excessive weight of the load somehow messed up the load sensor.  Also, if it were the water level switch, wouldn't  it still agitate if it was stuck?  This is the first time I have tried to repair any appliance and am very disappointed that all of my time and effort to change valve was not successful.  My husband wants to call a repairman, but at this point, I i am not willing to give up on being able to do it myself. The laundry is piling up, so  I would really really appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Desperately seeking advice! Load sensing washer won't fill.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:29:20 AM »
Access control panel and take off rubber tube that goes to auto sensing control and blow threw it and then put it back on and then see if it fills.If not could have bad auto water switch.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 10:17:37 AM »
To get to the control parts use a putty knife to release the clips on each side. Then flip up the control panel. As shown in this video:

May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline midwest

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 02:02:19 AM »
If you are talking about the pressure hose connected to the water level switch, I did that while I was in it replacing the inlet valve. My friend is coming is to town on Mon and knows how to test what is getting power. I suspect something was shorted when the suds overflowed and was hoping someone might know what component(s) to consider based on this being the poss culprit. In the meantime, I'm manually filling and agitating loads of what we absolutely need. Definitely facing the consequences of my determination/stubborness to not call the repairman.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »
On the auto level water switch which has a solid state board in it properly  got suds in it and shorted out causing no power to the water valve.Also the auto water switch has open slots on it that when you get a new one you can take electrical tape and cover them up before installing to help it from going bad. i have read from a service manual that if you use a hot fill that the vapor from the water can get into the auto level switch and cause it to go bad again hence the electrical  tape.

Offline midwest

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 10:29:54 AM »
Thanks for your response. The switch is the small black switch at the fabric softener knob in the control panel, right? If so, I don't think the suds could have traveled up there. I do see where they went down befind the plastic flap "covering" the inlet valve. The Auto Temp Control is plugged into lower part of valve and quite likely got wet.It appears Whirlpool knows that these parts are vulnerable by the plastic flap(stupid attempt at waterproofing considering it flaps open above these components.) Anyway, if this shorted out the ATC would this cause the valve not to work? It looks like they are powered separately, but someone mentioned the valve is powered through ATC. 

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »
I taking about part # w10292584 auto  water level switch .Which should have plastic hose on it.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 11:58:10 AM »
If you had suds all up in this control panel anything could short out.just something to think about.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »
Also the auto temp control is not plug in at the lower part of the water valve.That is a part called a flow meter.From want you are telling me with the Timer Dial in a Fill postion and power on you should get 120 volts at water valve. If not usually it is the part # W10292584

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline midwest

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 11:59:24 AM »
Thank you so much. I am sooooooo out of my comfort zone. I do feel silly trying to talk intelligently about something I have an extremely tiny amount of knowledge of. The amount of knowledge I have has been pieced together from the internet and my limited hands on while repairing valve. I am in medicine and when I think of someone trying to piece information together to perform medical diagnosis, procedures and surgery, I shutter. With that said, as long as the only damage that I'm doing by trying to learn how to fix this is to our checking account balance, I hope to continue. I so appreciate the intruction on what/how to ruleout first. The suds did not travel up into control panel only down the inside of the back of the washer. I will start with testing the switch you have said. I was initially going to replace that switch until I got the washer apart and could see where the suds had traveled. My husband is teasing me about needing to buy an old washboard off Ebay, so now I'm even more determined to prove him wrong. ANY and ALL advice is very very much appreciated! 

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
If you order the part from Repair Clinic and it does not correct the problem,you can return the part for refund minus shipping cost.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 01:03:43 PM »
If you order the part from Repair Clinic and it does not correct the problem,you can return the part for refund minus shipping cost.

Same goes for ordering the part from AppliancePartsPros.
Hope you find our site helpful.

GE Top-load HE Washer pauses indefinitely on Fill

Started by GKH

Replies: 5
Views: 3427
Last post November 04, 2010, 08:55:07 PM
by GKH
Maytag Load-Sensing Washer

Started by woody

Replies: 2
Views: 3359
Last post November 03, 2010, 06:44:38 PM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Front Load washer making noise.

Started by curtis

Replies: 3
Views: 7690
Last post July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM
by AJ
frigidaire front load washer

Started by Mikki

Replies: 6
Views: 6007
Last post October 17, 2007, 04:42:52 PM
by Mikki
What is the best top load washer for under $600?

Started by Larry B.

Replies: 1
Views: 2787
Last post November 12, 2007, 08:48:21 PM
by rickgburton
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6847
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ