Author Topic: KitchenAid Side-by-Side Refrigerator Cycling Noise  (Read 3169 times)

Offline peleliu

• VIP Member
KitchenAid Side-by-Side Refrigerator Cycling Noise
« on: June 19, 2012, 05:01:15 PM »
My KitchenAid side-by-side refrigerator (KSCS25FJSS00) makes a cycling noise at times.  This started happening a few months ago. It is a series of hum and click sounds repeated about once every second for several minutes. The noise sequence reoccurs often. It sounds like a solenoid is energized and de-energized causing the hum and click sound. Cooling and defrosting are normal.  Water dispenser and ice-maker are all working and don't appear to be cause. I turned off ice-maker and still get noise. I dispensed water and ice and noise is the same. I am worried that the frequent reoccurrence of this will eventually cause a part failure if I don't fix it soon.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: KitchenAid Side-by-Side Refrigerator Cycling Noise
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 05:49:31 PM »
Probably the start relay on the side of the compressor you hear making the clicking noise.

I would check to make sure the condenser coils at the bottom of the refrigerator are clean first.
If they are clean or after you clean them you still hear the start relay clicking I would replace it.

Your model uses compressor start relay part # 8201802
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline peleliu

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »
AJ, thanks for your reply. I cleaned the coils (1st time in 8 years) and have only heard the clicking noise cycle twice in the past three days and each time it only clicked two to three times. Presumably it is also clicking when I'm not in the kitchen to hear it.  I think I bought some more time on the start relay.  Is the relay part you recommend a Whirlpool/KitchenAid manufacturer part? Is this a direct replacement of the relay (with PTC) or does it include the start capacitor? I'm just looking ahead at how difficult the replacement would be.

By the way cleaning the wave-type coils on a KitchenAid side-by-side is difficult. Only the front section can be reached with a vacuum. Refrigerator coil cleaning brushes are useless. There isn't enough space to get to any coils beyond the 1st one. I used an air nozzle on the end of my compressor hose and blew it out while my wife held a vacuum. It cleaned ALL the coils completely, but does cause dust in the kitchen that has to be cleaned up. This is manageable. But I wasn't going to just clean the front coil and leave the 4-5 others clogged with dust. A shop VAC blowing air out should also work in place of the air compressor if folks don't have one..

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
Is the relay part you recommend a Whirlpool/KitchenAid manufacturer part?

Yes, click on the part number or photo I posted above for more info on the part.
I looked up the model number you posted and posted the factory part number for you.

Is this a direct replacement of the relay (with PTC) or does it include the start capacitor?

Yes it's a direct replacement. It does not include the capacitor.
I don't think you would need to replace the capacitor. I could not find the capacitor in the parts diagram for model # KSCS25FJSS00

But when I used the search box on the parts diagram it listed the capacitor as part # 4387764

I used an air nozzle on the end of my compressor hose and blew it out while my wife held a vacuum.

O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »
I ain't never seen one of them capacitors go bad yet. Seen plenty bad relays. Top of the compressor will give a clue.
Too hot to touch or cold to the touch, bad relay. My opinion.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

KAR-10 KitchenAid KA Side x Side Electronic Control Refrigerator Service Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2073
Last post August 20, 2009, 01:18:20 PM
by AJ
Side by Side Kitchenaid refrigerator evaporator

Started by FAMG68

Replies: 5
Views: 1106
Last post June 28, 2013, 12:12:17 AM