365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Microwave Oven Locks up with 5E or SE fault code  (Read 16483 times)

Offline glnlin

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag Microwave Oven Locks up with 5E or SE fault code
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »
Kean's procedure worked great for me.  There was some soft adhesive inside the 90 degree fold of the ribbon cable that may be the culprit causing the breakdown of the ribbon cable insulation.  We used a thin piece of plastic that we cut to size and secured it in place with some Mylar packing tape.  The ribbon cable in our five year old Maytag microwave has probably been breaking down slowly for several months lowering the power level.  After the repair the water we heat for morning coffee and tea gets about twice as hot with the same time and power(full) setting.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:53:15 PM by glnlin »

Offline Mojo

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 12:16:18 PM »
@Kean-  :thanks: Your post had me fix my microwave for the cost of 35 minutes and 4 inches of electrical tape. I honestly thought I would have to replace the whole touchpad after taking the whole cabinet apart, and doing so would still have not fixed it as the ribbon cable was at fault. I would have been nuttier then squirrel droppings if I had gone through all of that for nothing. 7 screws, 4 clips, and electrical tape- I would have never imagined.

Offline macmen22

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 07:59:25 AM »
Created an account just to leave feedback! @Kean, thank you SO MUCH!  We moved into this house about a month ago and the microwave never worked, just an SE message.  I decided to do an online search to find some information and, after reading Keans instructions, 30 minutes later IT WORKS!!!! Awesome!  So thankful!  :thanks:  :thanks:

Offline Nov

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 12:34:35 PM »
Thank you the detailed instructions Kean! Much easier than calling a repairman or installing a new microwave. It was an easy fix for any level of confidence!!

Offline Clintfu

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »
Kean,

Thank you so much for the excellent fix!!! Just experienced this issue this morning for the first time. Followed all your instructions to a "T" and !voila! works like a charm!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Clint

Offline Jehd

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »
Kean's repair was right on, separated the ribbons with paper and scotch tape, it is a go.  Thanks, Kean

Offline McHoffa

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 10:12:09 AM »
I thought my two year old Maytag microwave was kaput. It was as if the 8 key was stuck and then would beep and display SE. As soon as I'd plug in it would say to set the clock and then 8s would appear on the display. Found this thread and ten minutes later I've got a working microwave again!! Thanks so much Kean!

Offline Trevisthomas

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 11:47:20 AM »
Kean, you're my microwave hero.  My may tag shutoff last night with this error code and with your outstanding instructions, and 30 minutos of time i was able to get the microwave up and running again. 

Thanks.

Offline btnyptlnd

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 08:59:45 PM »
Killer Kean is spot on!! Thank you so much for the post. Following Kean's instructions step-by-step instructions worked great. After 30mins and 57cents for electrical tape, microwave oven is up and running.

I have one suggestion to add, instead of paper I used a chart paper and wrapped that with electrical tape which makes it an insulation and will prevent any fire hazards. I was not sure whether leaving paper between the flexible circuit may cause a potential hazard and therefore decided to add the electrical tape. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 09:02:11 PM by btnyptlnd »

Offline mbreger

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 06:55:29 PM »
I did exactly what Kean stated to do and it worked like a charm. I was home brewing beer and because the amount of time needed for a boil it shorted out the keypad. The fix was genius. There was some adhesive type material, or at least it felt like it, in the 90 degree fold of the ribbon. THANKS SO MUCH!

GE Range Oven F2 Fault Code During Bake

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1574
Last post December 13, 2011, 08:56:26 AM
by AJ
GE Range Oven F2 Fault Code During Self Clean

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2156
Last post December 13, 2011, 09:01:01 AM
by AJ