Author Topic: Kenmore S/S Ice Maker problem  (Read 2947 times)

Offline acwomack

• VIP Member
Kenmore S/S Ice Maker problem
« on: June 08, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
Purchased in '04, model 253.56282401. We have just installed a new ice maker. It has been 24 hours, freezer temp way below 0 degrees. The ice maker has only made a few cubes. The mechanism is not turning unless I hold down manual advance. When I press the button to do this, sometimes I see a spark behind the switch, others times not. Water does not seem to be coming in, but it must be at times because there are a few cubes. The water dispenser is working great, strong stream. There is no filter installed, we have a blank inserted as that was a problem from the very beginning. I have checked for frozen line, crimps, there are none. I have not removed the back cover of the fridge to look further as yet, but if I have water in door that should be fine, right? At times the water overflows and will run down the freezer ending up on the floor. Have not checked the solenoid by doing the 'switch with water line' yet. I thought by replacing the entire ice maker that would also cover the solenoid. I am ALMOST desperate enough to call a repairman. Don't make me do this!   

The other issue is the dispenser flapper. It sticks open. I assume that is a worn out spring that needs replaced.Most posts suggest there are screws or slots to use removing the trim.But my model does not have screws and attempting to pry the trim away using a screwdriver inserted in some small slots does not seem effective. I can not find the instructions on how to remove the trim so I can access the dispenser mechanism. Any thoughts here?

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: Kenmore S/S Ice Maker problem
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
The icemaker and the chilled water share a common valve but each has its own solenoid on that valve. This way each can get water as needed.
The tube that comes through the rear wall of the freezer may be filled with ice. You can check this by removing the icemaker and shining a flashlight up the tube to see if it is clear.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:09:08 PM »
To give you a better idea here is what the water inlet valve looks like, part # 241734301
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline acwomack

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 03:26:39 PM »
Thanks for the info.  48 hours out from the new ice maker install,  overnite the ice bucket did almost fill with ice.  It is producing, but very very slowly. As yet have not removed the ice maker to check for ice plug, but I am thinking it is  not that since I am getting some ice production. But could it still be a bad solenoid? Maybe working sporadically? I thought they usually went out totally. Any thoughts anyone?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 03:51:53 PM »
 If the air flow to the compressor and condenser is a wee bit better she might take off and start producing. How clean are the coils below the ice box?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline acwomack

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
Well, I do try to keep them clean, but i will check again! The fridge does seem to pump out quite a bit of heat to me. Plus there is air flow around the fridge, it is not jammed into a spot like some installs.

Offline acwomack

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 10:48:49 AM »
Ok, I have now recleaned the coils and compressor area from the back and front of the fridge. There were some dust bunnies and such, but not a lot. Boy was it a bear getting them all out! Ice maker has not as yet began producing as it should. But at least we do have ice now. When I hear ice drop, I do hear the water valve open and shut. I just can not understand why the ice maker is not rolling those cubes out. It obviously has power, and water, but creates ice as IT chooses. I even checked to be certain the fridge is level, and it is dead on. Temp in freezer is around -10.

I will give it a day to see if this effort works. If no change I will do a supply line switch and see what happens with that. Thanks to all of you for the advice. Right now, I really don't have hundreds to spend on a service call.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:44:05 AM »
Temp. In freezer should be 0 degree, icemaker should harvest every hour.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »
Temp. In freezer should be 0 degree, icemaker should harvest every hour.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

That's what I tell people too, about every hour.
I have people tell me every now and then they don't think the new ice maker is as fast, but then neither of us ever timed the old one when it was working.

I just replace my own ice maker a few weeks ago because the coating was coming off. I thought it seemed like it was taking a long time to fill the bin up with ice, but after a few days I kind of forgot about it and it seems to be fine now. Not sure if it was just my imagination or what, lol...

Offline acwomack

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 09:14:39 PM »
Yes, I was actually thinking the same thing. The old ice maker would pump our sooooo much ice it would be overflowing into the freezer compartment and jamming up in the bucket. So I figure this may actually be what a proper functioning ice maker does. Puts ice in the bin without overflowing it. It has been most of the day now and my freezer temp still is at -20, turned down the adjustment to 1, waiting to see how the temp adjusts. Thanks for the input. I do appreciate all the follow-ups I have received.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 09:18:24 PM »
 O0

Offline acwomack

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »
Well, everyone. I do believe the ice maker problem is resolved. I guess i was just not patient enough for the new part to function and because the old/original one was so very bad from the start. Amazing because my complaints about this part have been the same from the very day the fridge was installed but Sears never suggested the ice maker should be replaced. Just another reason we probably will not be shopping Sears in the future. They do not take care of the customer! Thank you all for giving me the tips on my install. This has been a learning experience for me! Regards, April

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 11:09:08 AM »
Thanks for the update.

Kenmore 106.56172500 ice maker problem

Started by padieselguy

Replies: 5
Views: 973