365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: Speed Queen dryer timer problem  (Read 85 times)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Speed Queen dryer timer problem
« on: November 25, 2015, 04:34:38 PM »
I just rec'd an old Speed Queen gas  dryer with model number HG4109 W with a timer that does not advance. I suspect it is the internal parts of the timer assembly but decided to hook up the timer motor to 110 Volt to veryify it is able to run properly. With a separate 110 volt source I can hear the timer motor running but the timer assembly shaft/outer dial does not advance. Does anyone know whether these old timer devices are prone to strip out the plastic gears in the timer motor or if the timer assembly is the root of the problem. Would a set of contacts inside the timer assembly that are stuck  prevent this timer motor from advancing the shaft rotation ?  Need to decide if I want to repair this old dog . Cost might be too much if a new timer is needed. The timer assembly has 110 volt power available for the timer motor at the connectors but it will not do anything when hooked up that way ?

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
Re: Speed Queen dryer timer problem
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 04:48:16 PM »
gear must be stripped

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 03:28:12 AM »
Yes. I took the timer motor off , pried the motor  cover off,  and found one of the small plastic gears  was stripped. These little gears are about like working on a clock. Also took the timer itself apart and checked all the contacts and they were in very good condition with no arcing.  I have a bunch of discarded timers and may be able to find a timer motor that fits and works or even take a gear out of one of them to fix this damaged one. I am surprised at the number of small gears inside one. I have a very good working timer assembly from a Kitchen Aid dryer but cant quite figure it out as to how to connect the dryer  wiring from this old Speed Queen. Has anyone ever done a swap like this ?

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 06:18:51 AM »
I am reporting this as it might be useful to someone else down the road. A lot of the old washers and dryers have been out of production for a long time but surprisingly many are still in good working condition especially the older Maytags and Speed Queen units. This particular Speed Queen gas  dryer is quite old but was still in decent working condition. I was about ready to scrap it due to the timer not working and a reasonable priced timer was not available. The problem was the small plastic gears inside the timer motor had stripped out. Not being one to give up easily I had a very good condition timer assembly from an older Kitchen Aid  dryer that I was able to adapt with some rework to use the timer motor. It was time consuming and took some delicate and intricate work but it worked out. This old Speed Queen gas dryer  is now ready to go another 5  years . I doubt that newer digital control types would last as long as some of these old units that are sometimes 40 years old and still working. Opinions ?

Speed Queen Dryer (no power to timer motor)

Started by goodsusedappliance

Replies: 2
Views: 2387
Last post July 02, 2012, 06:36:50 AM
by JWWebster
LG Electric Dryer Timer Problem

Started by kjustis

Replies: 1
Views: 4543
Last post December 30, 2008, 03:26:35 PM
by jumptrout51
Speed Queen dryer is squeaking and drum has dropped.

Started by no user name

Replies: 15
Views: 5950
Last post August 19, 2014, 09:31:29 AM
by dab147315
Dryer Timer Problem

Started by sosc1

Replies: 9
Views: 2392
Last post March 17, 2012, 07:11:31 PM
by bigbuck
Dryer Timer Problem?