Author Topic: LG W/D Combo leaves clothes wet  (Read 4330 times)

Offline Los

• VIP Member
Re: LG W/D Combo leaves clothes wet
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »
Heard blower not run in test mode immediately followed by dhe error code - this was all for the old blower, not the one I just put in.  New one works.

Offline clman

• Technician
  • 25 Years Appliance and Air Conditioning experience
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »
So you are not getting the error code in test mode with the new one and it is not running?

Offline Los

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »
new one is running, no error.  however, checked main pcb and it has a red light on - which I believe means it is faulty.  This is the third motherboard, second in the past few weeks.  what could be making the pcb go bad?

Offline clman

• Technician
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 12:42:25 AM »
If you are talking about the red led on the inside of the m.pcb from I recall I've seen that lit on working units. I can't say for sure. Never paid much attention to it. I can find out though.

So the blower and heater are coming on during test mode and a cycle. And the clothes are still wet. And they are hot. The heat may not be being maintained throughout the entire dry cycle. You may have to babysit it through the dry cycle with a meter on the heater connectors or amp probe on one of the heater wires. You can also feel the duct to make sure it's hot. Naturally it's going to cycle on and of so it cycle from hot to warm. But it should not get cool. I don't know what the low limit temp is.

And just for the heck of it, while in the drying cycle, pull the drain hose out of the wall while it's drying to make sure it's draining occasionally. Also, for best proformance, the end drain hose should not be in standing water and should not rise more than about 12" above the machine.

Another thing is that there may be a restriction at the lower end of the exhaust duct. In the hose between the duct and the outer tub. The heater and blower heats up the clothes which evaporates the water in the them and carries that evaporate through the "condensing duct" letting it condense at in the exhaust duct through the bottom of the tub. Occasionally cold water is introduced into the tub to help cool the hot moist air that hits it. Thereby increasing condensation production. This last part I have surmised as it is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Offline Los

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 01:01:06 PM »
Yes, machine still does most functions with a red light on pcb, but not all.  what could cause motherboards to go bad frequently?

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 10:28:02 PM »
The red led light on the motherboard means that there is power to the board.  Nothing is wrong with the board.

You say that the clothes are still wet and it is hot at the end of the cycle.  I had the same problem with another LG unit and this is what I found.  The drain hose in back was too long.  What I mean is the drain line looped down to nearly the bottom of the washer and then back up to the drain line.  On these washer dryer combos, during the drying cycle, the drain pump will only cycle on for 1 second and then off for 2 minutes.  Because of this, the drain pump cannot get the water out of the washer drum properly.  You will need to get behind the washer and stuff the drain hose into the drain pipe more to shorten the loop to allow the drain pump to work properly.  At least get the bottom of the loop up around half way up the back of the washer.

Be sure to check the drain filter to make sure it's clean.

Hope this helps. 
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline clman

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 10:39:21 PM »
Dirty voltage, a somewhat faulty part in the machine, environmental issues and crappy manufacturing could all be causing multiple pcb failures. Oh and really bad luck to.

Offline Los

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 11:46:13 AM »
I discovered the problem.  My machine has a four valve inlet assembly, AppliancePartsPros sent me a motherboard for a three valve inlet.  So the fourth valve, the dryer inlet valve, has been letting water into the dry cycle.

Thank You all for your responses and assistance - it is much appreciated!

Offline clman

• Technician
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 11:52:04 AM »
There's one for the books.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »

Hi Los,

Glad you found the problem, thanks for the update.  O0

I'm not sure just what part you are talking about. Could you post the part number for us?

Thanks,
Follow us on Google+ to see updates from our Google Drive and more!

Offline Los

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 01:00:51 PM »
[AP4441934] which is a 4 valve cold water valve.  see pic.  APP is saying they sent me the right board for it.  However, the dryer valve is opening and closing during drying allowing water into the machine thereby wetting my clothes.  What is the purpose of this dryer inlet valve?  Why would you want water into your dryer side?  I think I will try to run the machine with just this valve disconnected...

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 03:47:06 PM »
Probably has to do with steam like when you used to iron clothes you kept a coke bottle full of water to sprinkle on them to help steam the wrinkles out. Who know? LOL
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
Always go outside and verify proper air flow.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »
A ventless dryer needs to condense the steam into water and then pump the water out.  The cold water sprays into the condenser.  If your drain pump is working, it should never touch the clothes during the dry cycle.

Offline Los

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »
The dryer valve is for letting water into the dry cycle for steaming the clothes to prevent wrinkles - works best with fewer clothes.  If this valve is malfunctioning and allowing too much water in, then clothes never dries only gets wetter. 

This unit is does not vent to the outside.

Drain pump was not the issue has -  new drain pump.

Thanks

LG Leaves clothes damp

Started by Rick32k

Replies: 19
Views: 2261
Last post April 09, 2013, 04:51:42 PM
by desert
amana clothes dryer LEA50AW

Started by jmsrnsn

Replies: 1
Views: 2222
Last post December 17, 2007, 06:05:49 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Dryer won't keep running after door opened when clothes are dry

Started by Nancy

Replies: 4
Views: 2285
Last post February 10, 2008, 12:32:34 PM
by JWWebster
Simpson Maxi Dry 505 (reverse cycle clothes dryer)

Started by laudesan

Replies: 6
Views: 3131
Last post April 26, 2008, 06:36:15 PM
by laudesan
Frigidaire Dryer Tearing Clothes

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 3516
Last post June 06, 2008, 01:58:24 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Dryer ruins clothes!