Author Topic: Maytag MAH4000AWW won't agitate or spin - blown fuse?  (Read 1819 times)

Offline UnlikelyFixer

• VIP Member
Maytag MAH4000AWW won't agitate or spin - blown fuse?
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:40:16 PM »
I know just enough to be dangerous but I'm far from an expert. (I've replaced car engines, transmissions and brakes when a young man, but that was a few decades ago...) Please forgive me if I use a wrong term for a part. I have reasonable troubleshooting skills but I'm always learning.

In regular mode, my MAH4000AWW washer fills with water, then turns itself off. No slight rotation, no spin, drum never turns, I don't hear the motor engage.

I did some Google searches and found basic troubleshooting before I found the paper guide in the back of the control panel. My wax motor was replaced a few years ago, and the door appears to be locking correctly. The resister (R11) on the main control board does NOT looked burned out in any way. I've seen the photo's on-line and mine looks normal, nothing on the board appears unusual, and the door does lock as expected.

Again, after filling with water, it turns itself off. If I set it to the end of cycle, it will pump all the water out.

I took it apart enough to see the motor control board at the bottom right (looking from the front).

Following the steps on the paper clipped in back of the control panel, the machine won't spin (does nothing) if I try to put it in test mode (delayed start, press start button with JP4 6-connector plug unplugged...)

Using a small mirror, I can see the fuse looks blown (which is one of the things to check via the troubleshooting steps.)

It's between a white cube looking thing and a coil with red wires ( close to the JP4 connector). The fuse appears burned in the middle, and I've seen this in other glass fuses before. I have NOT removed the board, just using mirror and flashlight.

Here's my question:

Should I purchase a new fuse and get out my old soldering iron? They cheaped out on this and soldered it directly to the board.

I know fuses do occasionally blow, but usually it means something else is actually wrong. I haven't looked at the electrical diagram but I suspect I could go to Fries and get a replacement fuse (any advise? I will happily purchase from the appliance suppliers IF there is any diff...)

I haven't looked up it's size and have no idea if it's a something I can/should source locally. (I live in LA area.)

Anybody replaced that fuse?

All thoughts, suggestions or feedback welcomed.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Maytag MAH4000AWW won't agitate or spin - blown fuse?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
Hi,

Replacing the fuse won't do any good.

You will need to install a new motor and motor control board, part # 12002039
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline UnlikelyFixer

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:51:14 PM »
Hi,

Replacing the fuse won't do any good.

You will need to install motor and motor control board, part # 12002039

Boy are you fast!!! Amazing. (THANKS!!!)

OK, now I have to think about if it's smart to just replace complete washer. It's at least 12 years old, haven't decided if spending $300 is a good investment or not. Large family, lots of loads per week...

Any thoughts?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 09:58:22 PM »
If you can spin the tub by hand and it's noisy the tub bearings are starting to fail and I would not stick any money into it at that point.

If the tub bearings are ok then it's going to be up to you on how much you want to spend on it.

The motor and board come with instructions and are easy to install.
If you decide to fix it and have never replaced the belt now would be a good time to do it, part # 12001788
Hope you find our site helpful.

Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW - No Spin.

Started by larry

Replies: 39
Views: 62225
Last post February 21, 2011, 01:22:14 PM
by bwhelan
Maytag washer mah4000aww spin cycle

Started by evo100

Replies: 1
Views: 3443
Last post December 25, 2007, 09:41:02 PM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Mah4000aww will not go through cycles or spin...

Started by Mudd222

Replies: 11
Views: 5400
Last post April 23, 2013, 11:14:30 AM
by def
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW burning smell during spin cycle.

Started by ksujason

Replies: 15
Views: 18972
Last post September 14, 2008, 11:46:31 PM
by Repair-man
Maytag Performa won't agitate, but will spin

Started by helpless in LA

Replies: 0
Views: 2606
Last post May 19, 2009, 02:45:59 PM
by helpless in LA
Maytag wont spin, agitate, or drain - also smell something burning