Author Topic: Neptune has Popping Noise  (Read 3108 times)

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
Neptune has Popping Noise
« on: April 24, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
I was getting clothes out of my washer today and turned the tub and noticed a pop. I have heard this before when it was washing but then it wouldn't do it all the time. It only does it when you turn the tub clockwise and you go one complete turn before it does it again.
Could this be the belt since I have heard the belt squeak before when I first start it if it hasnt been used for a day or two. I have never put a belt on it, or does this sound like bearings? BTW I have had this since Jan 2001.

Model MAH4000

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Neptune has Popping Noise
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:10:53 PM »
Most likely the belt. If you have never changed it, please do so. The new belt kit comes with good instructions, plus a couple of plastic isolator bushings for the motor mount. Your washer was improved upon several times after your purchase, and this kit will bring the belt and motor bushings up to date. I will tell you that the new belt is supposed to be extremely tight while installing, so do not be discouraged if you seem to be exerting too much force...it simply fits tight and that's that.

The drive belt lasts about 3-5 years depending on usage. This part is the only thing between the motor and the tub, as front loaders do not have a transmission. Therefore, it's a good idea to change the belt as routine maintenance. The current part number for the belt kit is 12001788.

Part # 12001788 Kit, Belt & Isolator, AP4009041

Here's another little helpful hint whilst working back there. The Maytag Neptune Laundry facility hired cabinet punchers from Wilkinson Sword to machine those babies :)   Every edge is a laceration waiting to happen! Please do not slide your arms on any edge while working and you won't have to see what xylocaine is for. The only tools needed are a Phillips head for the back panel and a 1/2" socket to remove the single motor mount bolt.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 02:45:53 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 03:29:07 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply and info. I had read where someone had changed theirs and then they couldn't get it to stay on--something about they had the belt over too far on the grooves or something like that. I thought it would go directly in the grooves but the way that read it was like part of the belt wasn't fitting inside the grooves and wasn't supposed to? Does that make any sense-or maybe I misunderstood what I read. I am kinda scared to take the back off afraid I will see the rust crap from the bearings but to me mine makes no more noise than when it was new--or maybe a little more in the spin but nothing screaming just more like the wind noise/whirling thing. Sometimes there is I think motor noise but that may be cause I have the old motor. Wish I had gotten in onthe motor replacement when Maytag did it. I will get the belt ordered.
Thanks Again.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:53:13 PM »
I haven't gotten the belt changed yet on my washer but I did find out by turning the tub more and standing up listening better that the noise is coming from the left back corner which is the motor-right? Do you think since the sound is from there it could be anything more than the belt??

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:16:22 PM »
I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but its hard to make a call like that based on something that you heard. Can't say positively that the motor is not making the noise, nor if it makes any difference. If the motor is running OK, no problem. If it stops, replace the motor.

A $200 motor kit is not even 1/4 what the washer costs, so it is still a practical investment even if the motor fails. It's that darn rear bearing that makes most folks turn to a different machine rather than sink $430 into a part.

My advice is to replace the belt anyway...the noise might go away....
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:18:26 PM by Repair-man »

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:30:32 PM »
Do you think I could get my motor replaced since it has the 10 year warranty? It seems to do ok but seems like it sounds different at times but maybe it's just me. Seems different with smaller loads-guess it is not having to work as hard(during spin).

I will replace the belt. I just don't get around to things as quickly as I should--days or weeks aren;t long enough.

Thanks for the help.

BTW Where do those isolators go and what exactly do they do? They just look like flimsy plastic.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 07:12:45 AM »
When I worked for Maytag Corp., they would not let us replace the motor (or control) unless it absolutely failed.  You will end up waiting until it goes out before they will honor this warranty, and even then, their $128 service charge is going to apply. For his reason, most folks do the repair themselves at their own expense.

I agree that the motor may be on its way out one of these days, but wait till it does. You will be amazed at how quiet the newer style motors are since they improved them in 2003. The new plastic isolators go where the 2 black rubber grommets are holding the motor. Slip the old ones off and pop the new rigid ones in the holes. The motor will be a little difficult to wriggle back into place at first, so work it around in the isolators once you hang the motor back so it will be easier to line up the mounting bolt. The purpose of the new isolators is to provide more rigidity to the motor/belt aspect of the drive system. The older soft isolators tended to allow the motor to flex a tiny bit, causing the belt to drift and stretch. They are called isolators because they "isolate" the motor vibration from the tub.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:57:15 AM by Repair-man »

Offline Penguin45

• VIP Member
    • www.ukwhitegoods.com
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »
I confess to no direct knowledge of the Neptune front loader, but in the UK we have virtually nothing but front loading machines.

The point being made is that the motor pulley and drum pulley must run exactly parallel to each other. Secondly, it's an elasticated drive belt. Low usage can cause the belt to set into a curve around the motor pulley - it doesn't fully regain its shape when the drum is turning, so generates noise. Finally, the classic "Dok, dok, dok" noise we get is a broken spoke on the drum pulley - contact at the top with the belt tension, release at the bottom as it de-tensions.

HTH,
Penguin45.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 02:05:20 AM »
Just wanted to say Thanks, I replaced the belt on my washer this week and it no longer pops. It had gotten to where it was popping more than it was so I am so glad this fixed it. Also, I was afraid I might find where the seal might be leaking but No there was nothing there at the hole in the back of the tub. I had gotten the belt at a Maytag dealer and he wanted to know why I was changing the belt. I told him about the popping and he said he had never changed a belt on a Neptune and if it was popping it was the bearings. I told him that I had used the HE detergent and he said "That didnt have anything to do with the bearings going out, it was just the seals go out and cause it but the detergent didn't matter."
I am going to call and tell him that the belt fixed my popping. I did wonder how many people he told this too that believed it and just bought a new washer(he told me I just needed another washer because the bearings cost too much).

Thanks again for all your info and help. Also it was much easier to put on than I was expecting.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 05:35:13 PM »
It seems I have spoken to soon. Today washed some sheets and it started the popping again. It sounds like it is in the left side more around the motor. Only thing I didn't do was change the isolators. Mine already had the clear kind instead of rubber so I thought they might be fine . Do you think it could be those? The motor seems tight. I turned the pulley on the tub with the belt off and it never ticked/popped then. I just dred reaching through that sharp metal to change out those parts but if I must then I will.

Any other thoughts??

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 07:11:15 PM »
You tried a belt.

The noise happens when the belt is installed and properly tensioned on the drive pulley.

It is not unusual for the large pulley to wear, doing so in the center splines that  grip the spinner shaft. It also could be the early signs of bearing failure. My suggstion is to wait and see what happens next. If it is indeed a motor issue, you'll know in a few weeks or so.Same if it's a bearing.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:15:27 PM by Repair-man »

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 12:04:31 AM »
Yes I replaced the belt. I noticed where the old one was on the motor before I took it off and put the new one back on in the same spot. The paper with the belt to have it centered on the big pulley and it is. As for the tension, not sure about that. Mine doesn't have an adjustment. The paper said the earlier ones have an adjustment and then the later ones doesn't. I have the later evidently cause there is no adjustment on there.

I guess I will just have to wait and see.

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Maytag Neptune makes a very loud unbearable noise during spin cycle

Started by liza

Replies: 2
Views: 5844
Last post November 20, 2009, 03:20:59 PM
by Repair-man
Maytag Front Load Neptune Washer Banging Noise when Spinning

Started by dkmminc

Replies: 11
Views: 11305
Last post June 17, 2010, 11:05:11 PM
by schaffersapplian
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Bearing Replacement (loud noise during spin)

Started by TonyWilliams

Replies: 6
Views: 10924
Last post December 11, 2011, 09:51:57 PM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Noise

Started by lucatious

Replies: 1
Views: 1511
Last post January 02, 2012, 09:08:34 PM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune washer MAH4000AWW

Started by Sue

Replies: 8
Views: 7364
Last post February 09, 2013, 07:41:01 AM
by def
Frigidaire Front Load washer making noise.

Started by curtis

Replies: 3
Views: 6816
Last post July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM
by AJ