Author Topic: 2002 Whirlpool Icemaker - IDI - 3rd unit - need help  (Read 3617 times)

Offline abornox

• VIP Member
2002 Whirlpool Icemaker - IDI - 3rd unit - need help
« on: May 27, 2012, 09:51:20 AM »
Need some expert advise on what I am missing. Here is my story:

Frig is a 2002 Whirlpool model with the ice bin on the door and infrared control. Original unit failed due to a cube jamming in the blade slots causing motor to burn out. I bought and installed a replacement unit and waited the appropriate amount of time for fill. After 24 hrs, there was no water in the unit. I then jumped test ports L and V to determine if water valve was working. Water valve kicked on and I left jumper in place till I filled an 8 oz glass with water, so I knew water valve was ok. Figuring I got a defective unit, I returned this unit and bought another one. Installed this unit and the same thing, nothing. I then figured maybe the water valve was at fault after all, so I replaced that. Same thing, nothing. I again jumped ports L and V on this unit and water pumped to fill tube just fine. Freezer temp is also fine. Optics checked out as far as visual inspection with light at steady on when flapper help shut and 2 blink interval when flapper is open. I found thread for optics bypass test and followed instructions - removed right side optics board and jumped black & black/white and thermostat on unit and still nothing. I followed all steps from the optics bypass thread, but the unit does nothing at all. It does not cycle and it does not call for water. What could I be missing here? My only other option is to replace the optics boards, but as I stated, they check out fine as far as the lights go. Could these blink ok but still be bad? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: 2002 Whirlpool Icemaker - IDI - 3rd unit - need help
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 12:34:53 PM »
Hi,

That is a strange one.
The only thing that I can think of that has not been covered is how cold is your freezer.
Not that it should matter with things jumped out, but for the ice maker to run by itself the freezer should be getting down to around 5 deg. F. or colder.

Must be something we are missing here. Would like to hear what some other techs think about it.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 01:17:36 PM »
With the optics jumped, jump T to H on the icemaker to initiate a cycle.  Remove the jumper wire after a few seconds.  If the cycle doesn't start, you're probably not getting power to the icemaker.  Check L to N with a meter for 120vac.

Offline abornox

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 02:15:55 PM »
Thank you for the help. As suggested, I tested across ports L and N and I am only getting around 37 volts. I then pulled the unit out and tested straight at the plug coming from the freezer wall and I got the same reading, around 37 volts. I pulled the right optics board and jumped black & black/white at the plug and tested the ice maker plug at the freezer wall again and with the optics board jumped, I get 120 volts at the ice maker plug. Does this indicate a faulty optics board or is there something else wrong ?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal

Whirlpool refrigerator Nbr: GS6SHAXML00 Icemaker doesn't work.

Started by tech718

Replies: 6
Views: 9428
Last post October 02, 2007, 06:46:44 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool icemaker floods freezer

Started by adstocksdale

Replies: 7
Views: 11944
Last post September 08, 2008, 10:18:03 AM
by JWWebster
4317943 Whirlpool Replacement Icemaker Kit

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7806
Last post March 17, 2009, 01:10:15 PM
by AJ
8178689 R-106 Whirlpool Icemaker Troubleshooting Service Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3303
Last post August 20, 2009, 04:48:19 PM
by AJ
Video: 2007 Whirlpool & KitchenAid Under-The-Counter Icemaker Diagnostics

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 3091
Last post October 14, 2009, 02:33:20 PM
by JWWebster
Disconnect power to force cycle a Whirlpool icemaker?

Started by jaxmc1023

Replies: 11
Views: 2556
Last post June 25, 2014, 06:16:09 PM
by dab147315