Author Topic: Kenmore freezer door left open - burning motor smell - 253.21041100  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Tootie

• VIP Member
Freezer had a burning smell after door left open during the night.  Door alarm did not turn on until the morning.  By that time, it was already too late.  The smell was so strong that I had to open the windows.  The food was still frozen.  Is there anything I should check before plugging back in or is the compressor bad?

Model 25321041100

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
Hey Tootie, how have you been since "The Facts Of Life"? Say hi to Blair, Joe and the other one. :2funny:  I know, bad joke. If your freezer has a light in it then the smell is probably from the light being on too long and partially melting the plastic housing. If thats the case then it will be ok.

Offline Tootie

• VIP Member
Hi there's a plastic sitting on front of the light except I don't see any melting.  Is there anything else I should check?  Mrs. Garrett says hi lol.

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
The plastic might not have melted, it could have just got hot enough to smell. Have you tried to run it? Nothing can really be damaged from leaving the door open, it happens everyday somewhere.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Time to plug it in. If nothing smells hot then turn the control on. Compressor and freezer fan should start. In 10 minutes or so you should feel the air
getting cool where it comes out at the top of the evaporator area.

Offline Tootie

• VIP Member
No haven't plug it in yet.  My mom was worried at first but I reassured her from everyone's posts.  But I need to clean the defrost drain because ice accumulated on the bottom and water leaking to the floor.  Also was looking to clean the condensor coils since its never been cleaned for 10 years.  Except don't see any, just a compressor.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Also was looking to clean the condensor coils since its never been cleaned for 10 years.  Except don't see any, just a compressor.

I have attached a diagram of your freezer.
It shows the condenser coils mounted to the back wall.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
The condenser is hidden in the side walls.  When you turn it back on, feel the walls.  That warmth you feel is the condenser.  The  condenser shown is a replacement in case the original condenser develops a leak.

Hang a length of copper wire off of the defrost heater and into the drain.  That should keep it from icing up again.

Offline Tootie

• VIP Member
Thanks guys.  So I'm guessing I would never need to clean the condenser coils?  Lucky for me there's hardly any dust under it, just some rust and green stuff from the leak.

There's water in the drip pan.  I have read some Kenmore drip pans are permanently attached to the compressor.  Is mine like that?

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Leave room on the sides so it can dissipate the heat.I get calls on this every summer. There the poor thing sits in a hot garage. Stuff piled all around
it. Boxes on top pushed back against the wall. Easy money.

freezer door pops open

Started by donsabol

Replies: 2
Views: 470
Last post November 16, 2013, 05:05:42 PM
by donsabol
Problem with Kenmore refrigerator not cooling, but freezer and icemaker are ok

Started by Bigmetalman

Replies: 3
Views: 8460
Last post February 13, 2008, 11:03:25 AM
by Bigmetalman
How to replacing water line in freezer door for Ice maker?

Started by jet713

Views: 4971
Last post August 21, 2008, 10:33:33 PM
by BrntToast
Kenmore side by side-ice door flap?

Started by Jearls2

Views: 2290
Last post October 08, 2008, 09:26:40 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore Upright Commercial Freezer