Author Topic: Maytag MDE4000AYW dryer will not rotate  (Read 6374 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Maytag MDE4000AYW dryer will not rotate
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 09:07:24 AM »
They all look normal in your photos.
Replacing any extra parts is more or less going to be a preventive maintenance thing.

The drum support rollers are pretty heavy duty on this model, but it's often the one above the heater that I find gives problems.
I think it's because of the extra heat it gets from being mounted above the heating element.

So the preventive maintenance thing is up to you. Just depends how much extra money you want to stick into it.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 09:10:08 AM »
I guess it will depend on how much they all cost at the end of the day.  So I will do some cost analysis and then look at the budget.  It looks like the motor is the big ticket item to me.  But of course that is less than a new dryer.

Thanks

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »
Keep us in mind when ordering parts. ;)

Affiliate Disclosure

If it was my dryer I would replace the motor, two rollers and the belt.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
I look for cracks on the ribs on the belt, rollers lube unless real worn(worn bearing not rubber) and the blower only if it has play in the D so to speak on the motor shaft. It will rock slightly as you hold the blower and turn the motor shaft, if so replace. I have only changed 2 idler pulleys in 33 years so usually lube. Glides if they are thin.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »
When i started out 30 some yrs. ago, my grandfather said when i was putting grease or oil on the rollers to stop the noise, he yelled @ me & said, do not lube or grease rollers. He said that it would collect lint faster & seize them up faster. Was he right or wrong, I try not to oil or grease since then. I been sanding down with emory cloth & replacing rollers. I would think a little grease would not hurt.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »
I never use grease,always use Royal Purple Synthetic oil. I have for years and it works better than zoom spout turbine oil.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 03:01:25 PM »
sweet, i'll have to get some & try it. O0

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 03:13:39 PM »

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 03:29:21 PM »
Thanks aj

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
I never use grease,always use Royal Purple Synthetic oil. I have for years and it works better than zoom spout turbine oil.

Is there any particular type of Royal Purple that you use?  I was looking at their website and their products.  should I use this MAX-TUFF SYNTHETIC ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT or is there something else I should use?

Thanks
Rob

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »
Never have used royal purple. I use Zoomspout oil because it is used in the appliance industry and is safe for all major appliances and HVAC. It has been around forever and is inexpensive $3 for a bottle at any Ace hardware store.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 07:46:02 PM »
Last time I bought 6 bottles and the guy I got them from quit selling it. The Max Tuff bottle looks just like the stuff I bought. Mine says for guns, air tools, and fishing equipment. To give you an idea, you never oil a squeaky hinge on a house door as you will always have to oil it every month or so. 4 years and still no squeak. I always used zoom spout but I Will never go back as it can't compare to this stuff. I found it by mistake looking for synthetic oil for my truck. ( Isn't EBay great) Guy would send a bottle to a soldier in Iraq for every bottle sold, so I tried it. 3 of the servicers in my area use it as well. Holds up to heat very well.(Maytag dryer rollers)  I have oiled rollers on dryers and been back 2-3 months later with zoom ,oiled with the synthetic and never go back. You might contact the company and see if they make the liquid not spray can for guns.

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 08:57:34 PM »
They have this which is a spray can for the items you noted http://www.royalpurple.com/product-categories/other/#!royal-purple-synthetic-gun-oil

Then they have this for air compressors http://www.royalpurple.com/product-categories/other/#!synfilm-recip-100-reciprocating-air-compressor-oil

This is the Max Tuff stuff http://www.royalpurple.com/product-categories/other/#!max-tuff-synthetic-assembly-lubricant  They recommend this for engines etc.

Then this looks interesting http://www.royalpurple.com/product-categories/snowmobile/#!maxfilm-multipurpose-synthetic-lubricant

I am assuming that It has to be one of these that you use.  Do you still have a bottle kicking around that you could take a look at?  If you do and are willing to look at it and come back to me with what product it is that would be great.

I called the local stores that Royal Purple is sold by but neither of them had much product and told me that I would need to tell them what to order.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:07 PM »
It's Synfilm got it from Burdick enterprises in Alaska?,(907) 262-3210 They no longer sell on EBay. If all else fails would look for 5W20 motor oil as it is very thin.

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 10:05:43 PM »
I look for cracks on the ribs on the belt, rollers lube unless real worn(worn bearing not rubber) and the blower only if it has play in the D so to speak on the motor shaft. It will rock slightly as you hold the blower and turn the motor shaft, if so replace. I have only changed 2 idler pulleys in 33 years so usually lube. Glides if they are thin.

I checked the blower on the motor shaft and it does have play back and forth and you can see how it is worn.  So I will replace it.  However there are two different blowers and I am guessing that that is because there are 2 different motors with different shafts.  My motor is the 33002478.  The 2 part #'s for the 2 blowers are 33001790 and 33002797.  I think that it is the 1790 because it looks like that has the D shape for the shaft where the 2797 does not look that way but looks like you have to put a nut on the end of the shaft.  However it is better to be safe than sorry.  Is it possible for someone to verify which part number would work properly with my setup?  Thanks

Just to repeat my s/n for my unit is 10632471QW and it was purchased in 1999.

Maytag Neptune mde4000ayw dryer recepticle issue

Started by bearsxx

Replies: 3
Views: 1750
Last post January 24, 2013, 02:18:55 PM
by tgoods
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 7725
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Maytag Dryer Problem

Started by jborden

Replies: 10
Views: 8718
Last post August 15, 2007, 12:06:18 PM
by AJ
Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Maytag electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7642
Last post July 31, 2007, 12:38:27 PM
by AJ
maytag neptune dryer is really noisy

Started by joy

Replies: 1
Views: 4804
Last post October 09, 2007, 07:43:45 AM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Dryer 4000 noise