Author Topic: Maytag MDE4000AYW dryer will not rotate  (Read 6833 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Maytag MDE4000AYW dryer will not rotate
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »
The s/n for the dryer is 10632471QW.

I think it should have this motor in it then, part # 33002478
Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »
AJ,

Here is a follow up.

1. I was able to run the dryer a couple more times and then at one point when I pressed the start button I got the buzz to start it and then it stopped and I got a smell that something went.  Would that only be the starter on the motor or could it be something else.

2.  I pulled it all apart.  There really is not a lot to these dryers.  The fun part will be putting the belt back on the drum from what I can tell.  Attached is a picture of the motor.  The p/n on the motor is 63709530 and the model # is S58NXMPM-6852.  These are different than the part numbers you find anywhere else.  I am going to guess that the part # 33002478 is the correct one because of the flat spot on the shaft.  It is a 1/4 HP, 1 phase, 115 V, 60 Hz, 4.5 Amps, 1725 RPM, MFG date code is F99A5.  See the pictures.

3.  I used my digital multimeter to ohm out the switch on the motor.  The service manual says that between terminal 3 and 4 there should be 3 ohms and that between terminal 4 and 5 there should be 2.25 ohms.  I found the following:

Between 3 & 4, Motor shaft switch relaxed 3.1 ohms, with the motor shaft switch depressed 1.8 ohms

Between 4 & 5, Motor shaft switch relaxed 3.3 ohms, with the motor shaft switch depressed 1.8 ohms

Do these motors come with these switches mounted?  I looks like it by the pictures but I do want to make sure.

OK if you have any thoughts and can verify if possible that the 33002478 is the replacement motor for this dryer than I will order up a motor.

Also would you recommend that I replace the two wheels that the drum rides on in the back at this time.  I can see some of the rubber from them dropping and they look warn.  It has been over 12 years that this has been in use without any problems and there is no telling the amount of time that they have been rotating.  We are a family of 5 and the dryer has been used a whole lot over those years.

Would you recommend I replace anything else while I am at it?

Thanks

Rob

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 08:15:17 AM »
1. I was able to run the dryer a couple more times and then at one point when I pressed the start button I got the buzz to start it and then it stopped and I got a smell that something went.  Would that only be the starter on the motor or could it be something else.

Most likely the motor, I don't know what else it would be.

I am going to guess that the part # 33002478 is the correct one because of the flat spot on the shaft. 

Also going by the serial number you posted that should be the correct motor.

Do these motors come with these switches mounted?  I looks like it by the pictures but I do want to make sure.

Yes, the switch comes mounted to the motor.

OK if you have any thoughts and can verify if possible that the 33002478 is the replacement motor for this dryer than I will order up a motor.

Should be the one. Also keep in mind that if you order the motor from one of the links I posted above the return policy is excellent.
You have 365 days to return any part ordered through our site. Any part can be returned for any reason, even if it had already been installed.

Also would you recommend that I replace the two wheels that the drum rides on in the back at this time.  I can see some of the rubber from them dropping and they look warn.  It has been over 12 years that this has been in use without any problems and there is no telling the amount of time that they have been rotating.  We are a family of 5 and the dryer has been used a whole lot over those years.

Would you recommend I replace anything else while I am at it?

Would not be a bad idea to replace the two drum rollers.
Also look at the glides that the front of the drum ride on.
How does the belt look?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 08:21:20 AM »
Parts list for Maytag dryer model # MDE4000AYW

Maytag Dryer Drum Support Rollers Part # 12001541

Maytag Dryer Drum Belt Part # 33002535

Maytag Dryer Drum Tumbler Bearing Kit Part # 306508

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 08:56:40 AM »
AJ,

Thanks for the input.  here is a link to the photos for the rollers for the drum support plus the belt and the drum bearings and I also took a picture of the idler wheel.

you can find the pics here https://picasaweb.google.com/116078893095334358419/DryerRepair?authuser=0&feat=directlink

What is your opinion on these things?  The belt seems to be starting to see shreads on the edges.  The bearings look like they are worn to me.  The rollers are as I said in my original post having rubber dropping off of them which can be seen in the pictures as well.  I wonder also if the idler wheel should be replaced or is that pretty solid?

Thanks

Rob

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 09:07:24 AM »
They all look normal in your photos.
Replacing any extra parts is more or less going to be a preventive maintenance thing.

The drum support rollers are pretty heavy duty on this model, but it's often the one above the heater that I find gives problems.
I think it's because of the extra heat it gets from being mounted above the heating element.

So the preventive maintenance thing is up to you. Just depends how much extra money you want to stick into it.

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 09:10:08 AM »
I guess it will depend on how much they all cost at the end of the day.  So I will do some cost analysis and then look at the budget.  It looks like the motor is the big ticket item to me.  But of course that is less than a new dryer.

Thanks

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »
Keep us in mind when ordering parts. ;)

Affiliate Disclosure

If it was my dryer I would replace the motor, two rollers and the belt.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
I look for cracks on the ribs on the belt, rollers lube unless real worn(worn bearing not rubber) and the blower only if it has play in the D so to speak on the motor shaft. It will rock slightly as you hold the blower and turn the motor shaft, if so replace. I have only changed 2 idler pulleys in 33 years so usually lube. Glides if they are thin.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »
When i started out 30 some yrs. ago, my grandfather said when i was putting grease or oil on the rollers to stop the noise, he yelled @ me & said, do not lube or grease rollers. He said that it would collect lint faster & seize them up faster. Was he right or wrong, I try not to oil or grease since then. I been sanding down with emory cloth & replacing rollers. I would think a little grease would not hurt.

Maytag Neptune mde4000ayw dryer recepticle issue

Started by bearsxx

Replies: 3
Views: 2041
Last post January 24, 2013, 02:18:55 PM
by tgoods
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 8237
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Maytag Dryer Problem

Started by jborden

Replies: 10
Views: 9340
Last post August 15, 2007, 12:06:18 PM
by AJ
Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Maytag electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 8008
Last post July 31, 2007, 12:38:27 PM
by AJ
maytag neptune dryer is really noisy

Started by joy

Replies: 1
Views: 5252
Last post October 09, 2007, 07:43:45 AM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Dryer 4000 noise