Forum > Range, Oven & Cooktop Repair

Whirlpool Range No Oven Operation

(1/2) > >>

TechnicianBrian:

Model Number: SF216LXSQ0 , the display went out and the control stopped working so there was no oven operation. I verified power to the unit, but saw no obvious damage, so since I am the curious type, I removed the board from the housing and found a burnt component. Replaced the control board with a new one and now the oven works again.

JWWebster:
Brian we need to learn how to repair them boards.

TechnicianBrian:
I actually did repair this board instead of replacing it.  The component that failed was a 10ohm 1 watt resistor available at Radio Shack.  Removed the old one, installed the new one and it works just fine now.  This board was from a basic range so there was only one logic chip and no surface mount components so it's relatively easy to repair.  Most of the boards anymore are getting to complex to repair with readily available parts.  But if you are in the middle of nowhere, it may be time to get creative as a tech.

JWWebster:
What did you do just remove the suspect electronic component and let radio shack match it up? How did you know it was a 10 ohm 1 watt resister?

TechnicianBrian:
Most components will be identified on their case or for smaller resistors a color code is used.  As long as it's a normal stock part and not some special logic chip, most anything can be replaced.  It all depends on how deep you want to get into it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version