365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy! - AppliancePartsPros

Author Topic: Discussing cheaper parts and tools in our forum  (Read 643 times)

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
Re: Discussing cheaper parts and tools in our forum
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »
I was cruisin' through the forum, and someone said they needed to replace a ERP thermal fuse on a Whirlpool dryer twice.

Said ERP is crap.

Could be, but I haven't found any problems with them so far.  I get 'em way cheaper than oem parts, but after spending time on this forum, I see I need to milk my parts prices a bit more.

I'm not sure I'd get a CCU from them, but a wpdd water pump, no problemo!

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 10:23:50 PM »
20+ years ago the manufacturer would warranty all parts for a year. Also if a part failed in that time and caused damage they would cover that at well. I could even use a Maytag ignitor on a Whirlpool and they would cover that too. I have always looked at genuine parts and will use those over generic.Lately the cost is rising faster than I can keep up.I doubt if the manufacturers still will cover any liability at all, and I see a few generics that are BETTER than OEM. I use Fix Your Board over Whirlpool as 1/3 the cost on most and they are rebuilt anyway.

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 08:01:56 AM »
I have been using ERP for several years and have found them to be good as any other parts. I have had a few problems with the fuse kits but it is the hi limit T-stat that is questionable. For those of you that may not know, all of the replacement TCO's are 15-16 degrees cooler than what was originally spec'ed by the manufacturer i.e. 279816 fuse is 309deg. and the original was 325deg.
After I have had a couple of these failures, I have started inspecting the heating elements more closely and have found the elements to have hot spots in them, generally at the area closest to the TCO.
I like the ERP Icemakers because give me and my customers the best bang for the buck and function just as well. I have had a few call backs but I have had with WP also. Most times I find that the contact from the module to the T-Stat or Heater are loose, tighten them up and never have a recall.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 03:41:11 AM »
     I use ERP for some parts,  and also Supco.    Their thermal cutoff's are 1/3rd cheaper than whirlpools,  and I have had no problems.    I also use some Chromolox bake and broil elements for electric stoves.   Some are WAY cheaper.   and I don't seem to have any callbacks.    Some of the pumps,  switches, and thermo's are good for the most part.   You have to experiment with the parts,  see what works,  what doesn't .   
     I agree,  the thermostat/cutoff kits for the dryers are not as good as the manufacturer's ,   and for those I always use the 279816 or the 769 OEM whirlpool kits.    Not worth saving a few bucks for a potential callback.   
     Never tried aspen,  although they send me catalogues all of the time.   Might give them a shot.   We have a places here in town that sell the ERP and Supco and Chromolox,  so I don't have to mail order them.    I always pick up all of my parts in person at the store,  and lucky for me I live near one of the regional warehouses,  so they have most everything I need with no waiting.   
     The problem with Fix your board,  their prices are pretty high,   and if you get a board rebuilt on a NLA item,   and then another part goes bad and you can't get it,  you do the customer a dis-service.  I had a computer rebuilt on a Jenn Aire oven,  and then 2 months later the touchpanel went bad and he had to junk the oven.   So, if parts are NLA,  I usually will not go the extra mile to find an existing expensive part unless the customer is told of all ramifications.   
     I'll tell you a good substitute.   The whirlpool capacitor on their washers (189 -227mfd) is expensive now.    I found one that works,   Supco sells it for air conditioners.   Cost is 3 bucks.   The whirlpool one is 8572717 - 25 bucks.   that's a hell of a savings and more money in our pockets.   It's exactly the same size.   
     I do some heating and air work,  and have been using their relays,  contactors,  transformers and have had no problem with them. 
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 07:19:51 PM »
I just did a board on a Whirlpool oven, $418.00 from Whirlpool REBUILT with 90 day warranty.( cost $323.00 +$35.00 core and eat $10.00 shipping it back to them) Fix your board $160.00 plus shipping to them (return included with price) 2 year warranty. What is so expensive about that? On a NLA item they are well informed about the possibility of another failure, but what are the odds of a functional part ( other than ERC) that would kill the machine?

Offline Tuco

• Technician
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »
I'm a part timer. Most of my work for friends and an apartment manager.
I use Aspen Saftey for my small bulk inventory items : refrigerater parts( no system work), top loader washer, and dryer parts, some dish washer water valves.
I try to use our host Appliance parts pro for some needed orders.
Repair clinic, last ,...due to higher shipping and parts cost over A.P.P.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 06:02:48 PM »
My view on this as a person the spends thousands of dollars on parts is; some parts such as the 279838 wpl heating element is, and this is documented research I read  actually better than the original fsp part. And in many cases it's made in America. There is nothing wrong with after market parts. You will learn thru experience what not to buy. I buy wpl lid switches for 4.95 a hundred at a time. I asked them the other day if we could talk more about price breaks on certain parts. I received an immediate discount and will expect them in the future. Aspen manufacturing.  800-327-1794

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 09:34:48 PM »
On Cheaper parts, I've been doing some research.  I posted this, but got no replies.  Then I found a posting in the Whirlpool category where Penguin from the UK mentioned getting the basic pump motors from Askoll for less than 10 bucks.  He says they carry four pump motors and it covers 95% of their pump needs. 

The pumps they use there are apparently 240v, so I'm looking for a source for 120v.  Still, they're made by Askoll (who just bought Emerson?) and should be available. 

As far as capacitors, it seems to me that if you get the MFD's and the Voltage in the ball park, it won't matter what you pay, nor what they look like. 

My experience in my area is, if I can keep the total repair bill lower, I get more repairs, more money, and more happy customers.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 02:48:49 AM »
Your right, Anderson,  but if I use a 3 dollar capacitor instead of a 27 dollar cap my cost,  I don't drop the retail that much.   What it does, is give us a bigger profit margin.   I still warranty the job the same.

I never ordered from Aspen,  but if you say the elements are good I might try them.    I'll give anything a shot once or twice.    How are some of aspens other stuff,  I got a catalogue from them a while ago,  I'll have to look for it.   

As with boards,  I leave it up to customer.    I just don't like being middle man on rebuilt boards.    I had several customers whom I removed board,  they sent it in,  then I came back and re-installled it.    That way,  if it craps out,    they have to pay me again to come out and re-install while they pay for shipping,   and I don't lose all kinds of time on the recall.   Believe me,  it happened several times,  that's why I don't like to do it myself.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline HAS

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 08:19:44 AM »
I personal just started using ERP parts. So far the only problem I have is the Whirlpool Motor Coupling #ER285753A. I will not order any more of them, they are very cheaply made. The plastic is very weak,  you don't need much pressure to break one of them. 

I been doing this too long...

Forum features?

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 22
Last post March 06, 2008, 08:24:06 PM
by AJ
Canada Parts?

Started by Al Capone

Replies: 15
Views: 119
Last post January 15, 2009, 07:06:50 AM