Author Topic: Whirlpool ice maker stopped working after bucket defrost  (Read 8337 times)

Offline stream41

• VIP Member
Hi guys, having a problem with my ice maker. This is on a Whirlpool GS6NBEXRQ01. I took the bucket out one day to defrost it for several hours. Didn't touch anything on the ice maker. Upon putting the bucket back in, the ice maker no longer makes ice. No water in the tray, and the infrared system appears to be functioning okay. I'm definitely not a very handy person, but is there anything I can check before calling a repair guy? Surely it's too much of a coincidence that my ice maker would decide to actually break while I was defrosting the bucket. It has to have something to do with that, right?

Thanks!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool ice maker stopped working after bucket defrost
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »
Everything back in it's correct position Cover closed (27) and infrared in ON position?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline stream41

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:35:13 AM »
That's correct!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 10:37:56 AM »
You could do the simple things first. Remove the kick plate and clean under there. Then clean the dust out of the condenser and around the fan by the compressor. That will make it cool down better and could trigger ice production again. Try adding a tiny amount of water to the ice mold and see if it dumps a batch.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 02:21:55 PM »
Make sure fill tube to icemaker is free of ice, i have some freeze @ tip causing no water flow.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 07:54:29 PM »
Pretend you had the icemaker out and were looking at it from the square end. The ejector fingers should be pointing to around 2:00.
Any other position, replace the icemaker.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 11:37:12 PM »
If the water valve develops a drip in the freezer, the fill tube will turn into a stalagmite. Seen it.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline stream41

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 12:29:11 PM »
I tried using a hair dryer to defrost the water line and it didn't help, but I forgot to put the front cover back on, so I'll put that back in and see if it makes any difference. I'll also try cleaning out the compressor area, too.

The ejector seems to be somewhat loose - you can move it around between positions - is this normal? I tried filling the mold with a bit of water, but it didn't eject that batch of ice. Starting to look like I'll just need to replace the ice maker, huh? I've told my wife I can replace it myself for ~$130, but she thinks I need to call a repairman to make sure it isn't something else (like the water inlet valve, etc). Is there a way I can rule out the inlet valve before dropping $130 on the ice maker?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »
The ejector seems to be somewhat loose - you can move it around between positions - is this normal? I tried filling the mold with a bit of water, but it didn't eject that batch of ice. Starting to look like I'll just need to replace the ice maker, huh? I've told my wife I can replace it myself for ~$130, but she thinks I need to call a repairman to make sure it isn't something else (like the water inlet valve, etc). Is there a way I can rule out the inlet valve before dropping $130 on the ice maker?

You should not be able to move it around between positions, it's not normal.

Sounds like you need to replace the ice maker. This is something you can do yourself.

If you order the ice maker though the link I posted below and it does not fix it you can return it, no problem.

Your model refrigerator uses replacement ice maker, part # 2198597
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator

Offline stream41

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »

You should not be able to move it around between positions, it's not normal.

Sounds like you need to replace the ice maker. This is something you can do yourself.

If you order the ice maker though the link I posted below and it does not fix it you can return it, no problem.

Your model refrigerator uses replacement ice maker, part # 2198597

Okay great, thanks! When I took the ice maker out, it seems like all I'd have to do to put in a new one is just unplug the molex connector and connect the new unit, then slide it back in. Is that all there is to it?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:55:08 PM »
Okay great, thanks! When I took the ice maker out, it seems like all I'd have to do to put in a new one is just unplug the molex connector and connect the new unit, then slide it back in. Is that all there is to it?

Yes, that's all there is to it.   O0

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »
Is there a way I can rule out the inlet valve before dropping $130 on the ice maker?

You can jump out T&H (think that's it, should be in the service manual) to by pass the thermostat in the ice maker and run the motor to test it and see if it fill.

I have a jumper wire I made from a old ice maker harness that I just plug in after I removed the ice maker to jump power to the water valve for testing.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 01:03:49 PM »
The water valve is a duel valve used for both the water dispenser in the door and the ice maker.
A lot of people think just because they have water to the dispenser in the door, but not to the ice maker that the water valve must be ok.

That is often true, but not always the case.

Here is what the water valve looks like for your mode, part # W10159839

Offline stream41

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »
Okay, cool - thanks so much for your help!

Whirlpool Gold 51 lb Ice Maker Stopped Working

Started by ugalisa

Replies: 1
Views: 2535
Last post April 27, 2010, 04:41:44 PM
by jumptrout51
whirlpool gold ice maker stopped working

Started by c2chomebuyers

Replies: 3
Views: 1449
Last post October 02, 2013, 09:57:24 AM
by dab147315
Video: See if your Whirlpool Ice maker infrared optics control is working.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 45176
Last post August 01, 2007, 12:21:37 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker not working- please help

Started by pudge2824

Replies: 6
Views: 34299
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:00:39 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Refrigerator ED27DQXAB04 Ice Maker Not Working