Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Author Topic: Samsung topload noisy when spin starts  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Leeisfishing

• VIP Member
Re: Samsung topload noisy when spin starts
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 10:20:08 PM »
Working on a wa400pjhdwr   When it start the spin cycle it has a loud grinding sound but then goes away after getting to a medium spin speed. It sounds like it's coming from the clutch assembly. Now Ive run into this before and replaced the clutch assembly and the motor with no luck. Never 100% cleared the noise, it got better but never completely gone. ill post a video when I can    Hoping someone else has run into this before and knows the fix. Still think the clutch but it's a lot of work to replace if it's not going to fix it. Any ideas. Thanks

I have the same washer with the exact same issue. I replaced the clutch, motor (stator and rotor) , clutch motor (AKA drain motor) and none of these fixed the issue. I verified the teeth were fine on the flange on the bottom of the tub. I figured it had to be the main control board since that was all that was left. Replaced the main control board and the problem was fixed. At least I have a spare clutch, motor and clutch motor now. I will never purchase any Samsung appliances or electronic devices ever again. I replaced the main control board on this washer a year ago because it would error out and not finish a wash cycle. At least the washer is fixed for now. Until it blows up. Hope this helps someone.

Offline jandersen13

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 10:35:08 AM »
Thanks for the information!  I'm debating on what to do now.  I can replace the control board myself as it looks fairly simple, but the question is do I want to drop $215 into it.  What do you think?  Were you able to get the control board part for cheaper than that?

Also, do you know what the control board would cause this noise?  It really seems like something else.  But it's hard to argue with you since you replaced all of the other moving parts.  Any thoughts as to why this would cause it?

Offline Leeisfishing

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 11:39:38 AM »
Thanks for the information!  I'm debating on what to do now.  I can replace the control board myself as it looks fairly simple, but the question is do I want to drop $215 into it.  What do you think?  Were you able to get the control board part for cheaper than that?

Also, do you know what the control board would cause this noise?  It really seems like something else.  But it's hard to argue with you since you replaced all of the other moving parts.  Any thoughts as to why this would cause it?

The board is easy to replace. There is a video here. http://www.appliancepartspros.com/samsung-assy-pcb-main-dc92-01021b-ap5623797.html
I found most of my parts new on Ebay for a lot cheaper. I paid $80 for a new main board(free shipping). The motor was new for $80(free shipping) the clutch motor was used for $10(free shipping) and the new clutch came from an appliance repair site for $120(free shipping). You can also find a used board on Ebay but make sure it is tested and they take returns in case it doesn't work.
If your model washer is identical to mine and you want a new board and can't find one on Ebay then google the board # DC92-01021B and you will find them cheaper than $215.
In the technical information manual attached to the washer you can do some ohm checks on the board but I don't know how accurate they are. I think some of them are incorrect. I attached this page out of the Technical manual and also attached the Service manual. 
I agree. The noise sounds mechanical. I am not a appliance repair technician but I have 25 years electronics and automation experience and never would have thought the noise was related to an electronic failure on the main PCB.
If I had to guess I would say the motor control chip(TE8) model# IKCM15F60GA is bad. Mine only made this noise at low rpm when the clutch was engaged. It didn't make the noise when the clutch was disengaged and the agitator was running.  So it would make the noise when I first started a load when the tank was filling and at the start of each spin cycle. It stopped making the noise when the drum reached higher RPMs.
I didn't find out about the recall until I already had a bunch of money sunk into replacement parts. I am not sure how much of a rebate they are giving for these washers under the recall but if I had it to do over again I would have just purchased a new washer(Not Samsung).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:56:26 AM by Leeisfishing »

Offline Leeisfishing

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 12:12:14 PM »
Here is a video of my washer after replacing the clutch, motor (stator and rotor) and clutch motor. After replacing the main PCB the problem (noise) is gone.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1vvmvscmvo8cnb/File%20Jan%2022%2C%2011%2007%2031%20AM.mov?dl=0
You don't need a dropbox account to view the video. Select No thanks, continue to view → at the bottom of the page.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:16:55 PM by Leeisfishing »

Offline jandersen13

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 01:06:55 PM »
You are describing my exact issue so it must be the same thing for me.  I'm glad you found this and posted!  I'm going to search around for the board and try that out.  Thanks for the advice and all the help!

Spin cycle starts out noisy.

Started by v5000

Replies: 2
Views: 1403
Last post April 18, 2012, 09:57:27 AM
by AJ
Samsung washer - noisy during spin

Started by jandersen13

Replies: 0
Views: 159
Last post January 08, 2017, 01:58:00 PM
by jandersen13